The Clock Of Life

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by Frank Menez, Jan 30, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Frank Menez

Frank Menez Registered User
    Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The clock of life is wound but once
    And no man has the power
    to tell just when the hands will stop ,
    at late or early hour
    Now is the only time you own
    live, love, toil wiith a will
    place no faith in tomorrow
    the clock may then be still

2. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #2 dweiss17, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
    After feeding Johnnie II this afternoon, I went to my computer and opened the Member News and Views...the dreamer in me lives on...I read a piece “The clock of life” My good friend Frank Menez posted it. At this time in his life at age 81, Frank is battling a growth of cancer in his abdomen. It makes me wish I had the resolve and spirit of Frank Mendez...here’s a man, a friend, a husband, a father and a grandfather and a veteran of the human tragedy of world war. Fighting the good fight to live and to enjoy all that life can offer to the human while being beset by a serious medical problem. It is not for nothing that my friend and colleague Frank Mendez has well-wishers throughout our horologic world.

Sometimes, the friends we make through this hobby exceeds far beyond talking about a watch or clock...my friend, Frank Menez is proof of that thought.

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan thank you for sharing. As a relative new comer to the NAWCC, I always very appreciative of all those that are willing to share their knowledge. I frequent the MB in the clock repair section as I continue to keep learning. However I wish I had the opportunity to put a face to a name..or an avatar. Someone on the forum mentioned trying to get breakfast meetings together for those that share our same intrests. There is no one I know of where I live to be able to share a breakfast with and share stories. If would be nice to be able to have video conferences or something in order to understand and know our global colleages a bit better.

I hope Frank can win his battle.

4. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    David:

Thank you for your post. You may have hit on something when you spoke about video conferencing. I know nothing about this stuff. However, I often hear of "Skype." I was over to a friend who is a Notary Public...while in Philadelphia I spoke to his girl friend via Skype...she was in Brazil.

Let's try to learn more about this Skype...perhaps it can be used on the NAWCC Message Board as face to face meetings with other members.

Dan

5. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Dan. Hope you and the pussy cats are well. My oncologists recently told me that I was doing better than the average on
    my battle with cancer. The encouregment I receive from my friends in the Horological world and my Masonic brothers help my morale
    and keep me going. Without a doubt the NAWCC Message Board is a wonderfull place to visit and learn. I will keep on fighting this
    cancer and stay on this side of the grass. Frank

PS Hope all the members of the MB keep healthy and well.

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So good to hear you are on the mend, Frank. The sentiment of your poem is certainly on target. You can read the complete, original poem, by Robert H. Smith here. All the best with your recovery.

7. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Harold. I had this poem in my possession for several years but did not know who the Poet was.
    I see the copywright is 1932 the year of my birth. Frank

PS I enjoy reading your posts which are very informative

8. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the kind words, Frank. Your horological knowledge has always been a plus on the message board. I have a theory that tinkering with clocks and watches contributes to a long and contented life.:thumb:

9. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 Frank Menez, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    I am still hanging in there. Will have a CAT scan at the end of the month to see how I am doing.
    Between the 11th & 18th of March I will be in the Dallas Texas area to visit my daughter & grandaughters.
    If Chapter 124 has a meeting I hope to attend. Hope all the members of the NAWCC are well.

10. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just had my 11th CAT Scan. The news is good the cancer has not spread at this time. Will see my Oncologist
    in four weeks. I must be doing something right, still on this side of the grass. Returned from Dallas the day
    before the snow storm. Hope all the members of the NAWCC are well.

11. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank, great to hear good news.

12. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Frank:

Your Friend Daniel is happy to hear from you...please keep posting. You know we need one another.

Nearly finished on the 2014 Calendar will send you one. ALL BEAUTIFUL CLOCKS...English, French, Japanese, American.

Dan....Johnnie II sends you a meow to be well.

13. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just had my 12th CAT Scan and to my amasement the cancer has not moved. it looks like I am going to stay
    on this side of the grass for the near furture. I think Harolds theory that tinkering with clocks & watches
    contributes to a long and contented life. I hope all the members of the NAWCC are well and tinkering with
    their timepieces etc.

14. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great news, Frank.

15. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am still on this side of the grass. I just received the results of my 13th CAT Scan, it looks like the cancer has spread to my pancreas. I am schedule for a biopsy to confirm that the cancer has spread. My oncologist also want me to have further CHEMO treatments. Its been two years since I was diagnosed with stomach cancer stage four and the doctors think I am doing extremely well fighting this cancer. There are lots of folks that are worst off than me. Hope all the members of the NAWCC are well. last month some of the members from Massachusetts Chapter 8 came to my home for a visit. Dave Duerterman, Larry Chelmow , and Marty Cohen talked about old times and of course horological matters.

16. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Frank:

I hope the cancer has not spread...sometimes Doctors are terribly wrong. Hope the biopsy proves them wrong.

In any case...we need you and your presence in the NAWCC...please be of good cheer and keep up the fight to stay well.

Your personal friend and well-wisher.

Dan

17. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan Thanks so much for your concern. It has been confirmed that the cancer has spread to my Pancreas. Next Tuesday I will again start on a series of Chemo sessions. There are some new drugs that will be used to slow the cancer. I still intend to stay on this side of the grass as long as possible. There are a lot of people out there that are worst off than me. I hope you, your pussy cats and the members of the NAWCC are well. Looking forward to your 100th birthday. Your Friend Frank

18. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank, thanks for your update; our thoughts and prayers are with you for a successful treatment. It is good to hear there have been recent developments in treatment of pancreatic cancer.

19. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. I just had another CHEMO session with a new drug I have not had before, it is called Abraxane and will have another dose in two weeks. Give my best wishes to all the members of the NAWCC. I hope this info on my cancer treatment will be of some help to other NAWCC members with Cancer. Frank

20. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #20 Frank Menez, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    Just had another CAT Scan and CHEMO treatment. The cancer has not spread as yet. The new drug seems to be fighting off the cancer. I feel well enough to make a trip to Dallas on the 22nd Oct for a week visiting my daughter. I would have like to visit Chapter 124, however there are no posted meetings while I am in Texas at that time. Hope all the members of the NAWCC are well especially my friend Dan Weiss.

21. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank, nice to hear good news that the NAWCC is not shrinking by one more member anytime soon. Keep up the good fight. Enjoy your trip.

22. RL

RL Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Frank,
    That is terrific news. Hang in there with the treatments.

23. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Today my oncologist has prescribed a chemo pill to attack the cancer. I will also be taking some other test to see where the cancer is. I may have to have some radiation treatment. I am doing all I can to stay on this side of the grass, and hope to live as long as my friend Dan Weiss. I just spent a week in Dallas Texas visiting my Grand daughters. While in Texas I wore my Red Sox shirt and my New England Patriots hat. Visited the AT & T Dallas Cowboys football Dome. I hope all the members of the MB are well and thank those who have encouraged me to continue the fight.

24. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For those members of the NAWCC who have Cancer-

What Cancer Cannot Do.

Cancer I so limited

It cannot cripple Love
    It cannot shatter Hope
    It cannot corrode Faith
    It cannot destroy Peace
    It cannot kill Friendship
    It cannot suppress Memories
    It cannot silence Courage
    It cannot invade the Soul
    It cannot steal Eternal Life
    It cannot conquer the Spirit

25. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Frank:

My friend...the grass keeps looking greener...enjoy many more years looking at it.

Dan

26. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They're doing pretty amazing things now, and cancer is being beaten. Never give up the fight!

27. Frank Menez

Deceased

Jul 11, 2003
    USAF Retired
    Somersworth NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am not going to give up the fight. One of the things that keeps me going is I want to see my twin Grand Daughters graduate from High School next year. One of the girls will (Rachel) be inducted into the National Honor Society this month. The other twin is not to far behind. What more can a Grand Pa want for his Grand Daughters. Rachel plans to attend Oklahoma State where she want to complete a four year degree in Radiology. I hope all the members of the NAWCC are well.

28. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank, I appreciate the poem.

I am sitting in an ICU waiting room at M.D. Anderson Hospital in Houston waiting to get back into my wife's room and check on her.
    On Wednesday of last week she went to see her GP for a check-up and was called a few hours later and told her white cell blood count was 134, which is extremely high. She was sent to an oncologist on Thursday, who sent her directly to the local hospital in Alexandria, La. near our home. After a bone marrow biopsy, she was put in an ambulance and sent here with me driving close behind. She has been diagnosed with acute leukemia, and is being treated with chemo-therapy drugs and was put on the centrifugal machine yesterday. Her count was down to 72 today. We are moving in the right direction. What a whirlwind!!

The poem is so appropriate for us at this time. Please keep Linda Walker in your prayers

Thanks,

Will Walker

29. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #29 dweiss17, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Mr. Walker:

We all appreciate your posting and understand the concern for your wife, It is my understanding the problem of Lukemia is fairly well under control and hope we hear only good news in the future. Three years ago, there was no place to post things other than those that deal with horology. That this Member News and Forum was conceived October 26, 2010...is eveidence that the more than 200,000 hits have been done by our NAWCC membership in response to other things than purely horologic in nature.

This site (forum) gives each NAWCC member an opportunity to unwind and to talk about practically anything except politics and religion. Our postings have run the gumut from the pets we keep in our homes as family members to so many subjects far too numerous to mention here.

With great hope the modern medical advances of today and yesterday...will keep your wife at your side for many more years to come.

As a person who has past his 98th birthday, my hope is that I will be able to share my 100th birthday with our entire National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors on the Member News and Views December 11, 2015. And, that Johnnie II will be here to help me thank each of you for your well-wishes.

Attached Files:

30. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, wow! Sorry to hear about your wife's leukemia! Glad to hear though that it is responding initially to treatment! I can't offer much in the way of advise except to be there for her, no matter what it takes. Women are dependent on us for support. With you by her side, she'll put up the hard fight!

31. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    WOW, so sorry to read that your wife was diagnosed with leukemia. It seems they caught it early and started treatment quickly which is a good thing. She is also in the best place to be for treatment as M.D. Anderson is the best. They are up to date on all the newest treatments and chemo drugs.

I imagine that is the most terrifying thing to hear about a loved one being diagnosed with a dreaded disease, but they have come a long way with new treatments and chemo drugs. I know quite a few people that have gone into remission and take drugs that keep them in remission.

I, and I know all the regular posters on this board, will keep you and Linda in our thoughts and prayers. Also for Frank and his battle with cancer who is fighting the good fight.

And Dan, I know you will be around on your 100th birthday for us to celebrate. I think your secret to longevity (besides your good genes) is your agile mind keeping you busy with new ideas and your zeal for life plus your sweet feline to love and keep you company.

Missy

32. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Update: She has been put on a treatment plan which uses two different chemo drugs. She just had her first round of both drugs and has had no negative effects so far. She will be put in total isolation in a few days where she will stay for four weeks. Once the month of isolation and chemo treatments are completed, she will go home and return monthly for more chemo. I will be able to visit anytime through a window. It will be tough, but we'll make it. Prayers are appreciated.

Will

33. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will, we're with you and Linda with our prayers and sincere wishes for a successful treatment and speedy recovery. Thanks for letting us know, it's good to have our members sharing as Dan succinctly put it. And I'm sure he'll still be posting here two years from now, keeping us all on our toes!!

34. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    WOW (Mr. Will) 10 years ago, they could not guarantee 90% of children with leukemia would live a full life. Today, we have medical miracles that happen every day. I am sure...you and your wife will hold hands years from now...as you tell her, "I love you."

Please have her write me on this Forum, December 11, 2015, and wish me a happy and healthy 100th birthday.

That you will not be able to be near her soon, is only part of the treatment that will resolve the medical problem facing Linda. Have faith!

35. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, Linda's white cells have dropped, but not quite low enough for her to go into isolation. Probably tomorrow. We are desperately in need of white cell donors in the Houston area. She needs them now, but the hospital has none. Anyone living in the Houston area, who could give should give in the name of Linda Walker. Thanks

Will

36. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow Sponsor NAWCC Diamond Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What's her blood type?

Frank

37. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It doesn't matter about the blood type. White cells can be taken from any blood type. White cells are separated from red, and the red cells are returned to the donor.

38. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    New update: She has been in isolation for weeks now. It has been the hardest days of our lives. Today is the last day in isolation. She will remain in the Same room, but I will be able to be with her. She has had pneumonia, kidney problems, fluid retention problems, shortness of breath, no appetite, terrible sores in her mouth, and numerous bouts with nausea during this time. However, the worst thing of all has been the isolation. What a Valentines day we are going to have! We will be here for a while longer. Her numbers are looking good, they say, but she is a ways from getting her strength back. Please keep her in your prayers.

Thanks,
    Will

39. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any progress is good, Will. Despondency is a game killer, so it's good news that she's able to have visitors. As long as she has the will and strength to fight, there's hope! I wish for the best outcome for both of you. You've been through a lot!

40. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, Shutt.
    She is better today. Her nausea has gone away. She is very weak, but is very slowly gaining strength. We should be out of here in a week or so, and begin getting treatments on an out-patient basis. Maybe we'll get to go home some day. It has been a great help to me to be able to read the message board. It gives me a needed break from the hospital scene. There are a lot of great people here on the MB.

Please continue the prayers.

Will

41. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, we got out!!!!!
    She was released from the hospital on the 42nd day. We will stay in the Houston area for a while and she will be monitored, and a plan set up for future treatments. There is to be no more isolation. Everything will be out-patient for a while. Thanks, all, for your concern and prayers. We know there is a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere down the road.

Will

42. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    WOW:

My thanks to you and whoever else has used the Member News and Views to speak about the HUMAN side of Horology.

Wow...I am happy to hear the good news...let's hope it gets even better. The NAWCC Member News and Views was started with the thought we do have a human side to the world of horology. And, that it would give our members an outlet to speak about other things than purely horologic. Over 200,000 hits in a little over 3 years very well proves that point. On this Forum we speak in thoughts that reflect our families, our houses, our cars, the animals we take to our hearts and many diverse subjects that have no horologic bearing. For instance...my bum knees...yes, I know [time] (a pun) has wrecked havoc with them...after all, going on 99 years of life...time has been kind to me in many ways, but not to my knees...I complain not...just blowing off accumulated steam.

This is your Forum to blow off any steam you may have accumulated. It's free.

43. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good news indeed, Will! 42 days! I'll bet she's glad to get out even more than you're glad to get her home!

44. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Another update: We went to the doctor today and found that the results from the bone marrow test she had yesterday, showed that she is in remission. The news we have been waiting for!!! She will receive another chemo treatment beginning next Thursday, be monitored for a few days, and get to go home to Louisiana for a few weeks. We thank all for your prayers.

Will

45. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will, we have never met, but I am very sympathetic to what your and your wife are going through. You are receiving good news and obviously have a good health care provider. You have my sincere wish for a very favourable outcome.

Take care and be strong for your wife.

David

46. John Hubby

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will, this is wonderful news! My best wishes and prayers are with you both, keep up the good fight and welcome every new day as a blessing.

47. Missy

Missy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2004
    Female
    Ms.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Best news ever, Will. I know it has been a dark and terrifying journey for you and Linda. That sweet word, remission, is the light at the end of the tunnel. I know Linda will do even better when she gets home to good ol La to rest and recuperate for a while. No place like home.

Please know that you and Linda have been in the thoughts and prayers of all your friends on this message board.

Wishing y'all all the best,
    Missy

48. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, our return home did not go well. We spent one night home, and she developed a fever. We went to the local hospital, and things got worse. Her liver quit working properly and her calcium went to 170, which is dangerously high. She went into a semi-coma and slept for four days and nights, impossible to arouse. Yesterday we managed to get her onto a hellocopter and fly her back to MD Anderson in Houston. She woke up slightly just before getting on the chopper. They immediately began treatment for her high sodium, and today it is 160. She is talking and gaining strength. Actually, she is doing much better than the doctors expected by this time. Guess we will not be going home again until we complete the full treatment here. It will probably be August or later.

We are going to beat it!!!! Thanks for all the prayers.

Will

49. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A day at a time, Will. Keep us posted, OK?

50. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since my last post, my wife went through another round of chemo, which made her extremely weak. She was allowed to return home for a while, but suspicious cells returned, and we had to return to MD Anderson. She has overcome several infections and congestive heart failure, allowing her to qualify for a promising clinical drug, which is designed to block the mutation which drives her leukemia cells. It is not chemo, as such, and is simply a pill a day, which is given the same time every day for 28 days. There have been minimal side affects with this medicine in earlier trials. She has experienced absolutely no side effects so far. She is in on the ground floor. MD Anderson just began the trial. They do not even know the proper dosage at this point. We have hope that this drug will block her mutation to the point that the leukemia cells will have no driving fource, and only new, cancer-free cells will be produced in her bone marrow. The drug is named AG-221. If you are interested, you can Google it and find out much about it.

We continue to have hope....One day at a time. Please continue to pray for her as she keeps fighting. We will be here in Houston a while. I'll keep posting updates.

Thanks,

Will