• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

The cleanest ever Waltham - "Sunlight Soap"

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
This one just in. These come around occasionally - I think the previous one I saw was a Traveler.

Should we regard this as a Private Label, or something else, like just someone's little advertising gimmick, perhaps?

It's reminded me of the story that when my parents' generation were little children, one of their favourite Xmas songs was this -

"While shepherds washed their socks by night,
All seated round the tub,
A bar of Sunlight Soap came down,
And they began to scrub."

On the inside of this ornate silver A.B case was a very broken model 1889 - Waltham Pocket Watch: Serial Number 5078180 (Grade Royal)

DSCN9478.JPG

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Nice Private label.

Rob

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
Is the red soap printing on top of the dial or under a top glaze like the black Waltham print? The red looks just slightly crooked to the black print, which is common even if it was done at the same time with a different/second die.

topspin

Dec 14, 2014
Country
Region
As far as I can tell, the red and black were done at the same time. Not like some of the watches which turn up over on the mainland where someone has clumsily plonked a circle of red numbers 13-24 on top.

Overall I'd say the dial has a "classic" rather than "antique" vibe/feel to it so I wonder how many of them were later replacements.

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
As far as I can tell, the red and black were done at the same time. Not like some of the watches which turn up over on the mainland where someone has clumsily plonked a circle of red numbers 13-24 on top.

Overall I'd say the dial has a "classic" rather than "antique" vibe/feel to it so I wonder how many of them were later replacements.
In the US we ended up with a lot of dial production farmed out to a few dial manufacturers. This probably started to happen in the teens and twenties. Some of these dial companies cooperated with American distributors ofSwiss wrist watches to put logos etc on Swiss dials. They sometimes did this in such a way that it was hard to tell the later additions from the original print. I wonder if it is possible that the same sort of thing existed in the UK?

Nick23

Jul 21, 2009
England
Country
These watches were presented as length of service awards to the workers of the Lever Brothers Sunlight Soap Factory situated on the Wirral in Lancashire. Close by is the village of Port Sunlight built by the Lever brothers for the factory workers and is still maintained in superb condition with about 2000 residents. It is also a very popular tourist attraction with the excellent Lord Lever Museum and the Lady Lever Art Gallery.

Reactions: PatH and topspin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ken64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-