the chimes - how to start?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by MatthewSorrells, Oct 7, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. MatthewSorrells

MatthewSorrells Registered User

Sep 21, 2015
    Country Flag:
    This old clock that I've picked up with a movement "urgos jw32m(?)a" has been operating correctly as far as keeping time for more than a week. I JUST got the two outer weights hung a day and a half ago, but the clock has made no noises whatsoever other than ticking. Is there something I need to do to get the chimes to begin?

There is a lever on the right side behind the face that I can flip and it picks up for a second and drops the second I let it go. One time I moved it and a little winged gear on the left side spun for just a second and then stopped. Does the clock have to build some kind of pressure or wind a spring internally to begin the chimes? I read somewhere to give the clock two days before adjusting on them, but should I have done something other than just hang the weights? I kind of figured it would chime but it might be off and I'd have to worry about that at that time, but its been silent and I cant tell the outer weights have moved at all.

Oh, the weights are correct as best as I can tell. 4.7, 4.7 and 6.6 lbs, from left to right.

I appreciate your time and patience with my naivete. :screwball:

2. MatthewSorrells

Sep 21, 2015
    Country Flag:
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    You might post some pictures of the dial and movement. Often such pictures aid in understanding what you are trying to convey.

4. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That lever is likely the linkage between the chime and strike sections. Couple of tips:

1) look underneath each weight and see if they are marked L, C, or R, which stands for left, center, and right. Hang them accordingly. The heaviest weight should likely go on the right, which you've done.

2) Make sure that the 'chime/silent' lever, if you have one, is set to 'chime.' This will be on the left or right side of the dial.

The little winged gear is there to provide air resistance and thus prevent the clock from striking or chiming too quickly. All of the power for strike and chime comes from the weights. What you were seeing was the strike section going into 'warning' mode, which means that it'll strike soon, at the exact time.

If the chime doesn't work, the strike won't either, for the strike is triggered by the chime mechanism.

Please post some pictures of what you've got. That ought to help.

Mark Kinsler

5. MatthewSorrells

Sep 21, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Here are pics of the mechanism. You can see in the first pic the lever I'm speaking of on the near edge of the mechanism behind the face. The lever has a small hole in the end, and I can push it down and nothing happens now and as soon as I let go it falls back into place. It has a few small pieces off of it that seem to block a gear from turning in either of the two positions. It looks like it MAY have another position, but I cannot move it to that position and cant figure out how I would. The weights are hung correctly, and they are not marked. Neither of the outer weights have moved in a week (only had them hung for that long). Which side is the chime and which is the strike? Is there anything I can look for being out of place? Could lubrication be a problem here? I still have not lubed.

Thank you for your help. I really want to get this thing making music.

IMG_6486.jpg IMG_6487.jpg

6. macaw

macaw Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    Country Flag:
    left weight is strike, right weight is chime. If you're able to take the face off and watch what everything does, I'm sure you'll see the problem. Someone else may know right off when they see the pics. I don't believe lubrication would help.

7. Probox

Probox Registered User

Oct 27, 2015
    Public Housing Government
    Halifax Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes on clocks like these there is a clamp that protects the hammers when you go to move the clock. This clamp could be in the "lock" position thus preventing the hammers from striking. I could not see in the pics where that device is located but you might try looking for a lever to pull up or push down.

8. ScottS778

ScottS778 Registered User

Sep 15, 2014
    Kansas
    Matthew, the little lever with the round hole in it is used to correct the chime and strike with the displayed time on the front of the clock. I just saw one of these a couple of weeks ago and helped my buddy get it running. His has a longer lever under the small lever with the hole to silence the chimes and strike and you will only have the time going on.

I see what appears to be some string on both sides of the movement. If the string is tight and is hooked to a cup hook under the movement that is why your time and strike does not sound. Unhook the string and see if your music starts. Once it does you can operate the smaller lever to correct the music to the displayed time. The weights should move I think. Also are the weights hung on the correct end of the chain so the weights pull in the correct direction? ( this is less likely unless the ends of the chains have been molested. )

Scott