The Best of J.E Coleman

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by Mike306p/Ansoniaman, Jan 11, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi , How many have the book The Best of J.E.Coleman Clockmaker? What do you think of it? Thanks Mike0136966

2. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi , How many have the book The Best of J.E.Coleman Clockmaker? What do you think of it? Thanks Mike0136966

3. Ray Fanchamps

Ray Fanchamps Deceased
    Deceased

Aug 24, 2000
    N'er do well......
    LLareggub
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike,
    It's a very broad based book covering specific questions on a wide variety of clocks and mechanisms.
    I would suggest it's more of a problem solving aid than a formal in depth educational tool. That certainly does not detract from it's value, quite the reverse.
    The questions asked are likely problems a reader will encounter and in that sense it goes right to the problem and repair.
    I think it's a "must have" and that it should be reprinted. Copies currently sell on ebay around $75+/-. In the spirit of full disclosure I have one for sale in the eMart, obviously not my only copy. I have plenty of experience repairing clocks but would not be without my Coleman book.
    A basic library might consist of a couple of "basic repair books", definitely a couple of "escapement books" and the Coleman book.

Ray Fanchamps
    Candidate for Director NAWCC 2003.
    It's your NAWCC, please vote.

4. I've had the book since it first was published. It is a lot of fun to pick it up and read it from time to time, and I often find a helpful hint when I come up with a clock that is stumping me.

An interesting aside, I worked on a clock this week for a lady that has been in the area for a number of years. She had a letter from Mr Coleman dated 1960 describing the work he had done on her clock. He certainly did good work, over 40 years since it had been worked on and it only needed cleaning and oiling, no bushings worn and the pivots were in outstanding condition.

Chris

5. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to those of you who responded :biggrin: . I ordered a copy and it should be here in a few days . Again I'm a piddler :rolleyes: and fixit nut :p so it should come in handy. Mike 0136966

6. Ray Fanchamps

Ray Fanchamps Deceased
    Deceased

Aug 24, 2000
    N'er do well......
    LLareggub
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike,
    You indicate "you ordered" the book. I understood it to be a hard book to find.
    For the benefit of other readers where can you get the book? and for my benefit how much? maybe I will have to do some "price slashing".
    Thanks

Ray Fanchamps

7. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ray you were right a hard book to find it is. :p There was one available at the time in the whole country.I got it for $40.00 plus $3.50 from Abebooks.com. Mike 0136966 :)

8. Ray Fanchamps

Ray Fanchamps Deceased
    Deceased

Aug 24, 2000
    N'er do well......
    LLareggub
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Mike, that's a realy good deal.

Ray Fanchamps

9. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Jan 12, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ray I received my book(J E Coleman) in the mail today, looks interesting. I would think it will come in handy . Mike 0136966 :biggrin: