The battery-electric clock

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Jan 23, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Recently I was looking for a project NAWCC Calendar for the year 2016. In correspondence with Mike Schmidt of Chapter 190, he suggested I get in touch
    with Ernie Jensen a 190 Chapter member.

Ernie also belongs to two NAWCC Electric Chapters; the information sent me by Ernie is overwhelming. Having never opened an Electric Clock Forum (and I am a 50-year NAWCC member), I was amazed at the conglomeration of information available.

It would take a tremendous amount of time and work on my part to create such a battery-electric clock calendar. I would be more than happy to proceed with such a project, I am sure those that are into this form of clock work would be willing to help with pictures and descriptions of their timepieces.

The problem as I see it…much, much work on my part in getting all the material together to make a comprehensive and well thought out 2016 Calendar featuring these relics of our past…my problem…would we be able to sell 50 to 100 of these calendars to the members who have an interest in these timekeeping devices?

All collected monies from these sales go to the NAWCC to help fund our NAWCC organization.

What are your thoughts as to saleability of this special part of horology.

1-23-2015 10-02-53 AM.png

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I assume there would be interest in this kind of specialized calendar. You'd probably have to post a request for pictures there in the forum.

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Shutterbug:I already have quite a number of battery and electric clocks from which to proceed.

I have a world of info, too.

I do not want to invest a lot of time and have it go for naught.

I will post the original into the Electric Clock Forum and see what happens.

4. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, there are many more makers of electric clocks than pages in a calendar. Even using the front and back covers I would recommend you select 14 makers who represent notable achievements in electric horology, and then pick one or two of their best clocks to accompany a brief history of the company or maker. A quick listing could include:

Bain
    Hipp
    George Tiffany
    Eureka Clock Co.
    Synchronome
    Brillie
    Self-Winding Clock Co.
    Warren
    Bulle Clock
    Hatot (ATO)

and four others of choice.

Placing them chronologically would provide a history of electric clock development.

5. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    John:

All you say is possible. Still my main question has not been answered.

It would take a tremendous amount of work on my part to create 2016 NAWCC Calendar featuring battery-electric clocks.

Could we sell up to a 100 Calendars to earn $1000 ($10 each) to donate the monies earned to the NAWCC funding? I would even pay the mailing postage to each buyer about $1.82.