The anticipation mounts

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Jun 10, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    It is Sunday, June 10, 2012, and I will be flying to the NAWCC June Convention at 1:25 PM on June 12. I really have not prepared for this adventure except to make my necessary reservations during the time I will be in California. The girl will be coming 3:00 PM this afternoon for my instructions on how to take care of my cat, my beautiful Johnnie II. She will also pack my case with the clothing I will be taking. My toiletries will have to wait for Tuesday morning before the case is closed. My driver will pick me up at 10:30 AM to drive me to the International Airport in Southwest Philadelphia and in addition, will pick me up on the return flight.

I stop to think what the hell is a near-to 97 year old guy doing flying to California…with a bum knee that must depend on the help of kind people, both here in Philadelphia and California. In my conversations with the agents of Southwest Airlines that help the handicapped, it is good to feel assured no problems would occur with seating or service during the roundtrip Southwest Airlines flight.

It is exceedingly fruitful to have friends who will pick you up, and do all the driving necessary, and to help make your stay in California as pleasant as possible during the run of the NAWCC Convention. I must mention the friends I never met, but know only through our back and forth emails as to how encouraging and wonderful it will be to meet these fine NAWCC members and to share our time together at the Convention.

One special important part of this Convention will be to reunite with my friend Dave Coatsworth and to share his hospitality once again. Since the Chapter 190 meeting was canceled on Sunday, June 17th, because of Father’s Day…I’ll spend the day before flying home, with Dave, wife Mo and his 10 dogs of the Siberian Huskies breed. Mo’s horse Champ will also make my acquaintance.

As I was typing this posting, the girl came, packed my stuff and acquainted herself with the routine to keep Johnnie II fed and happy. I can only hope Johnnie II will behave and not miss me too much; I know for sure I will miss her jumping to my lap and putting her furry paws on my chest and start kneading while looking into my eyes with her expressive and beautiful face. I do not want Johnnie II to think her Mr. Mom deserted her. Little does she know how much I will miss her! However, as human beings with thoughts, wishes and desires, sometimes, we must obligate ourselves to fulfill our needs of the moment.

2. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    To any of our members who read this Forum and attended the Pasadena June Convention:

What did you think about the attendance?

Were their more table holders than people who attended purely as members?

How many people did you see (younger than 50-years of age.)

Did you attend the Banquet on Friday night? What did you think of the Public Address system that our speakers used.

How far did you travel to attend?

Do you think it was a successful affair?

Replies are welcome to all of the questions posted.

3. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doesn't sound as if you enjoyed it or did you?

4. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

It looked to me like there were far more attendees than table holders. I don't know what you mean by "who attended purely as members?"

We will have actual attendee counts in the next few days as things are tabulated, but we don't ask people their ages other than those under 18 years, so we won't have that number for you. We have enough complaints about the info we ask of attendees at registration. I don't think age would be a good one to add.

Every seller I spoke with during the show thought it was a huge success and I certainly saw a lot of clocks being carried out by buyers. Watches are more difficult to see going out the door.

RobertG

5. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan, it was good to see you at the show and hope you did enjoy it. Purely as an observer, I would estimate there were in the order of three or more buyers (including members and visitors, Saturday was open to the public) for every single table holder, which is a better than average roll-up. I'll be intersted to see the statistics when Robert has them available. There were quite a number of International members who made the show.

The PA systems generally were not all that great, but also I noticed that very few of the speakers knew the mikes were wireless and should have been picked out of the holders and used close to their mouths, would have made a big difference in being able to hear everything that was going on.

There were some very good educational programs, and although small in number the clocks in the crafts contest were absolutely incredible examples that show clockmaking is far from dead. The banquet was good and there were some very well-deserved Fellow and Star Fellow awards presented.

Robert, thanks for posting the photos, hope that the official photographer will have his pile of pictures uploaded to the website ere long.

7. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    John:

At my age (3-years) to the ‘century mark’ and a with bum knee…relying greatly on my good friend Dave Coatsworth and his generosity, in seeing to my getting around in comfort and in meeting many fine people. People I knew only through email and Chapter association…the Pasadena NAWCC Convention could well be the last one in my long life that happily drew my attendance.

I may have been the oldest person at the Convention…flying from coast to coast…in order to be there and meet so many NAWCC members…was well worth the very few problems I had getting back and forth in attending this Convention held in the Golden State of California.

When we first got to the Convention site, I asked one of the guards if they had wheel chairs for people who had trouble getting around the Convention floor? His answer was …two…the people who used them before this Convention, drove off with them. I think and suggest for future Regional and Conventions wherever held, the organizers of these affairs make sure some wheelchairs are available for NAWCC members who may need them to get around the full floor area.

It was not too comfortable for me to get up walk around all the tables on the floor and see for myself all that was going on, while I sat at a table selling the NAWCC Calendars helping to make some money for our organization. At the same time, while at the table with the Chapter 190 group it was my pleasure to help their treasury a little, selling some horological books I had donated to their Chapter.

Earlier in another posting, I had asked a number of questions concerning the entire Convention; a few people may have read it as sour grapes. Not so! I was only asking their opinion on some of what I had posted. If the questions I posted did not convey my true thoughts, I apologize for my lack of schooling and education in the use of my verbiage in presenting those thoughts.

For me attending the Convention was an exercise in living my life to the fullest, renewing some friendships and meeting those I never met before and taking their hand into mine. It was my great pleasure in meeting these people; I also got a couple of welcome hugs from some of my fellow lady members. What more could an older person like me ask for…I know…one more thing…becoming a member of the 50-year NAWCC membership group!

Recently recognized as a member of the 200 “Old Timers”…I still have the other NAWCC zenith to reach.

Dan Weiss #8331

8. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan:

If I had known of your need for a wheel chair or a scooter, I would have gone out of my way to obtain one for you! I didn't know, and I don't think any of the other Committee members were aware either.

RobertG

9. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting. As the NAWCC population ages it sounds appropriate that there should be a place to indicate the need for mobility devices prior to registration. My wife and I go to the International Plowing Matches in ONtario. For the past few years I have needed a mobility scooter and they always have a place to contact the local provider. Of course for the full week I have to pay for it, but at least there is a place to make arrangements to have it delivered to our RV site.