The Adams & Perry saga continues

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Mar 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    No matter what other certain NAWCC members may say…I claim responsibility for starting the Adams & Perry saga that to date has about 33,000 hits and quite a few replies. In fact, one NAWCC member was put on notice not to try to insult me again.

January 19, 2008…I published a story about finding a broken down watch in the basement of a store in Philadelphia, this store was the last of about six [6] other stores had closed their doors
    after years of serving the pocket watch industry in Philadelphia. The pocket watch was passé. This was the start of the saga of Adams & Perry watches, serial numbers, and subsequent pocket watches using the material left over by other companies that followed in the same building…after the Adams & Perry Watch Manufacturing Co. went bust.

Charles Crossman, a horologic historian of the early years, did report one watch was completed by the A&P Co. That was true; however other watches using A&P material have come to light over the last 140 years after the A&P closing. Seems the Lancaster Watch Co. finished nearly all that are extant. Possibly two or more were completed by the Keystone Watch Co. - they followed in the Lancaster Watch Co. wake.

For those interested in this well-researched A&P pocket watch saga…hopefully, in future months to come, another well-respected collector…may publish a story about a timepiece that had its beginnings at the A&P factory, and everything that went into its restoration to a thing of beauty and well-worth the appellation pocket watch.

Should you care to read two stories about A&P watches #1585 and #1448…please go to the internet, type in…story of A&P #1585…it will lead you to both published stories.

Artists rendition of the original building [1874-1875] below…today it is restored and houses upscale livable apartments and condos.

image001.jpg