The act of kindness

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Sep 12, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #1 dweiss17, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    The goodness of some members of our living society.

Usually our trash and recyclables are picked up every Friday. Since Friday was a holiday the stuff is picked up a day later. The girl that puts out my trash forgot to come this morning to do the job. What to do when you got bum knees? I called my neighbor Jack…and he put the trash out for me.

Since I woke early to get the trash out…I may as well go to my favorite restaurant for my breakfast meal. That I did. After finishing what I ordered, I waited for my check to pay my bill…my waitress comes over and tells me the couple across the aisle picked up my check. They were complete strangers to me…I was taken aback, why should a stranger pick up my check?

I thanked them for their unusual kindness proffered to this gray haired man. My waitress told me they often do that when they visit the restaurant. It seems these people enjoy doing an act of kindness that is unusual. It seems to me that people who see someone use a walker to get around will go out of their way to help that person.

After leaving the restaurant, I did some grocery shopping; the cashier seeing my cane in the cart with what I bought…asked me if I wanted help to put the food stuffs into my car…another act of kindness unexpected.

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is not enough kind acts in the world Dan. Glad some people made your day that much nicer.

3. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan I think all the reporting on bad stuff over shadows the acts of kindness you experienced. Thank you for posting it reminds us all that we can do a bit more for others.

David

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And if you get an opportunity to pay if forward, go for it. There really is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.

5. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Good deeds is not newsworthy so we do not hear as much about it in the media. We get all the bad stuff and it paints a picture of a cruel world.