The 2016 Calendar is now for sale

dweiss17

Old Timer
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 1, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Country
Yesterday, I finished printing the rest of the 165 - 2016 Calendars featuring electric-battery clocks; it contains 15 pages (printed on two sides) cover to cover. 30x165 = about 5115 times the Workforce 30 Epson printer clicked to print a page. (If you used cartridges…you'd go broke buying enough ink to print these pages), I use CISS tanks that save you much money and do away with cartridge use. The page stock costs $20.xx a ream, the cover stock for these pages costs nearly $22.xx for 250 sheets. All this paper comes to one size 8-1/2"x11". I do not recall how many times I had to refill the tanks with colors Cyan, Magenta and Yellow and of course a double Black ink set in the tank. The collating, punching and spiral binding will come later.

I did not stop think how much I spent on paper and cover stock…I know the previous 4 cartons I sent to California cost me $63.00-$64.00 to ship. Neither did I count how much paper and cover stock I used in doing these 165 Calendars, nor the cost of it. We had some mishaps and had to destroy a few of the already printed pages. While minor in error, we thought it best to not use them in the finished calendar.

I looked at when the Gentlemen from California met at Alan Bloore's home to begin photographing some of these rare and unusual electric-battery clocks from a bygone area…even before we had electric lights in our homes. This type of clock is attributed to a Scotsman by name of Alexander Bain in 1841. The date we started this project was exactly a month ago from today, Thursday, April 29, 2016.

I do not think hardly a day went by that we were not working on some phase of this most beautiful of Calendar Clocks I have produced so far…we started in 2007 when I belonged to a Chapter, no longer a member of our NAWCC. I began making these calendars in 2004 with a series of cat (feline) pictures I took of them many times a week. They were the perfect subjects, no posing necessary. Their memories are very dear to me, the photos a reminder of their physical presence and love for me.

Over the years I think I may have had 5 or 6 of the Epson Workforce 30 printers, they have a nasty habit of shutting down completely when the waste ink becomes too saturated in the waste ink receptacle. The printers also have built-in memory counters that will shut down the printer. There are ways of overcoming these tricks by the manufacturers…so far in Philadelphia; I have found no printer expert who can do what is shown on YouTube to overcome these built-in memory tricks. These obstacles by the Epson Company are put in…in order to make you buy a new printer. I have bought refurbished ones from Epson at a steep discount and others on the internet for $50.00, plus shipping. They have all delivered exceptional service, as far as I am concerned. Today, some big box stores sell them for under $80.00, plus shipping; unless you pick it up…with my bum knees, I sure am not going to pick one up at these big stores.

While we have many kinds of expensive printers that can print up to 100 pages a minute…the printers I use are among the cheapest you may buy. They take a very long time to print the pages I need to make this extraordinary calendar. It can take a full day or longer just to print 25-30 copies of the 15 pages that comprise all that goes into its making.

The person who holds this calendar in his/her hand…will not realize the labor intensive time it took to produce the calendar they are looking at. I realized from the very beginning this would be a job that would challenge this 100 year old man. My main thought was the amount of money it would produce to help the funding of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. Besides…keeping me busy from watching TV or twiddling my thumbs…I can say with definite assurance…as of today…because of this effort by a number of people who took up the challenge to help produce this unique Calendar, we will have enriched our NAWCC treasury by at least of this moment by $2000. Once it gets out to our horologic public, I am certain the NAWCC membership will send in their orders for this electric-battery Calendar that will help enrich our NAWCC treasury even much more.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Hi, Dan. I was going to get you a check for a calendar some months ago; But, I can't seem to find my checkbook. The last two times I used it was to purchase firewood for two different seasons and that was like five years ago.
I'll get a cashier's check for 2 calendars if they're still available.
Or... Do I need to go to the NAWCC store, now?

dweiss17

Old Timer
NAWCC Member
Deceased
Aug 1, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Country
Martin:

I have a better idea. Put a $20.00 bill in an envelope and paper wrap it a few times so it will not show through the envelope, I will need your mailing address. Mine is: Daniel M. Weiss, 1707 Napfle Avenue, Philadelphia. PA 19111. The calendar is very nice and could be classed as a keepsake.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
As already posted elsewhere, got mine today, what a nice calendar, kudos to Dan for his tireless work. Hope I have your energy in another 38 years.

Tyler K

Student Member NAWCC
Oct 23, 2014
North Canton, Ohio
Country
Region
I got my calendar today and really like it! Thank you for all of your time and effort that you put into making these wonderful calendars!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellywiglesworth10@gmail.
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-