The 2013 BULLETIN March-April

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Apr 27, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    More than a week ago, I received the 2013 March & June Bulletin. What struck me was the beautiful Seth Thomas Office Calendar #11. Printed against a light ivory-yellow background cover, I think it one of the prettiest BULLETINS covers ever.

The lead story was the long-awaited history of the Adams & Perry Watch Manufacturing Company by my friends George Meyer and Burt Cifrulak. Both these erudite gentlemen did long and varied research into this Adam & Perry story that presents much of the unknown history of its movers and shakers. It leads one down to the path of the players in this revealing and interesting story about their history with the start up of the A&P Watch Manufacturing Co. and the companies that followed in their wake. Names we knew little of now are put forth with their family tidings and of their part in this A&P Watch Manufacturing Company that had so much hidden facts until brought to life by George and Burt. All this takes place in the city of Lancaster, PA. Our world-famous Horological Museum is located about 12 miles away in Columbia, PA. One little known fact, during the Revolutionary War, Columbia fell short of two votes in becoming our Capitol by two votes.

Some years ago, I published the story of the Finding and Restoration of Adams & Perry #1585 on two former Chapters of the NAWCC. If you open the NAWCC website in the [blue banner] you will see the Forum Our Voices, click on that, go to page 4 and listed is the story I wrote. Down near the end of that story it lists another A&P pocket watch #1448 restored by me through the help of some highly skilled NAWCC members. Just about three-four months ago, I sold #1448 to an early American collector from the New Jersey area. Rene Rondeau of California, America’s foremost electric watch technician bought A&P 1585 from me a few years ago. This story features many photos of the timepiece taken fully apart.. The story of A&P #1448 was also written up on these NAWCC pages.

2. gmeyer4

gmeyer4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Male
    CEO
    Morgan Hill
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the kind words on the article. It was a labor of love and it was interesting to find out more pertinent information on these companies after 140 years.

3. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I must also comment that I found the Adams and Perry story very informative and entertaining, the flim flamming that went on to raise money, etc. Thanks George and Burt.

4. gmeyer4

gmeyer4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Male
    CEO
    Morgan Hill
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Richie, I was very amused by the shenanigans. Just like we find today, everyone had their own agenda in these ventures. Zham and Best may have been the wiser ones to retreat early. It is always better to get out early on with losing ventures.