That's Nuts - Lyre Pendulum

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by MuensterMann, Nov 2, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MuensterMann

MuensterMann Registered User

Mar 23, 2008
    A woman was given a new Howard Miller grandfather clock for her retirement. Some years later the lyre pendulum was coming apart. It issue was that the rating nut was the wrong size and was bigger than the threads. So, someone put tissue as a filler to hold it on - and not sure when this happened. I tried a sample of rating nuts to get the right size, but no luck. The diameter of the thread rod is .125 inches. I tried a 6-32 nut and it is close, but only goes on a few turns and no more. M2.5 and M3 were too small. What else could I try?

What would be my options and my best option? 1. Find a new pendulum ($100 more or less). 2. Find a nut at the hardware store that is correct size and place it below the original rating nut. 3. Find the correct size rating nut (looked at the suppliers, but didn't see any good possibilities). 4. Purchase a new center rod with rating nut already attached (I did find one of these with correct length ($12) at one supplier).

2. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Use a wooden bead for a rating nut. Screw it on and it'll adopt the threads. Hey, it worked for me.

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If the difference is not too much, you could try to close the hole in the rating nut a bit with a hole closing punch.

Uhralt

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hard to tell without photos, but you said you could get a replacement center rod... if you can remove the existing one, maybe you could rethread it to fit a more standard nut?

5. CameraGuy32

CameraGuy32 Registered User

Apr 12, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    A .125 diameter would be a 5-40 thread.

Jim DuBois likes this.
  6. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
  7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wooden bead! Wooden bead!:)

8. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    I am wondering why the odd-sized thread in the first place. I say "odd" since it is not common. Maybe it got mixed into the stock at the factory.

Placing a regular hex nut at the bottom may not work well, since it would be hard to regulate. The rating nut fits differently on a lyre bob compared to a wooded stick bob.

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Somebody recommended some time ago to cut a vertical slit into the rating nut from the inside to the outside with a jeweler's saw. That allows to compress the nut a bit, making the opening more narrow.

Uhralt

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bangsters idea might work. The wood would be "tapped" by the threads on the minute hand.

11. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I thought this was about the rating nut. Where would the minute hand come in?

JTD

12. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This Thread is enough to drive you Nut's ......

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ooops. I forgot what we were talking about. BUT - the idea is the same. :rolleyes:

14. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I see you got a bead on that.

15. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    I took the rod to a nut/bolt specialty shop and it seems that the size is close to a 5-40. However, a 5-40 nut would not work properly. The threads were inspected and no deformities were observed. Anyway, odd threading size.

After taking the pendulum apart, I had access to more of the threaded rod and it turns out that the rating nut I had was the correct size. The threaded portion of the rating nuts was very close to the bottom portion of the nut and thus was not reaching the threaded portion of the rod. So, a little bit of user error on my part - but resolved and working well now! Live and learn. Do and learn.

16. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Perhaps the nut was upside down?
    JTD

17. MuensterMann

Mar 23, 2008
    No, it was right-side up - as the fit was correct and upside down it would not fit the backside of the bob.