Thanks for another great National Convention

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by ben_hutcherson, Jul 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think a big thanks needs to go out to Frank Webster and the many, many other folks who put a lot of hard work into making this year's National a great success.

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It was indeed a great convention. The hard work by Frank Webster paid off -- at the banquet he received a Fellow award for his efforts. Congratulations to Frank and his committee!

Frank

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Who won the Pritchard prize?

4. Markus Harris

Markus Harris Registered User

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It was won by Denis Caringnan.

5. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cross-link
    https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?135435-National

Enjoyed it.. though was the most walking I've done in a while

Interested in some 'results' ... # of registrants, # of tables....... etc

Large mart room, plenty of aisle space and seemed plenty of space behind tables.
    Layout over all seemed 'confusing'...
    The actual mart room was a 'block' away from host hotel location (wondering 'why' on opposite end of convention center when it seemed room was available closer)

tried to find exhibit, but i was on the wrong side of the convention center it appears and used that energy for my walk back to 'secondary' hotel.

the Steamboat excursion was great IMHO... apparently 200 people
    HOT waiting to board... (concrete, sun, etc)
    Enjoyed the meal... thanks for the AC in that space!

Here are a few pics from the ride

Attached Files:

6. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Markus:

This brings up a good point. The banquets at national conventions are actually "awards banquets." Two Star Fellow awards, two or three Fellow awards, the Pritchard award, the literary award, and the Peoples' Choice award (craft competition) were presented at the banquet in Louisville. Why aren't those recipients posted on NAWCC_News? It seems disrespectful to those recipients when members who did not attend the convention have to wait for months to see the winners printed in the Bulletin so they can congratulate their colleagues.

Frank

7. Markus Harris

Markus Harris Registered User

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank,

Since I've been working here the procedure has always been to wait for the awards committee to compile their official release, which we then post to whatever area of the website the information belongs; meanwhile the Bulletin lists those awards in the official report on National once they are compiled and officially released.

There are a number of steps that are traditionally taken in the process (procedural steps that predate my own involvement with the NAWCC).

Best,

Markus

8. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, but sounds like a lot of red tape to me for something so simple. The awards committee gave a sheet to the chair that lists the awards and the recipients. What more is needed?

Frank

9. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good evening, all!

Here's a link to the pictures I took at the 2016 NAWCC National Convention. I am not the world's greatest photographer, but I hope what I lack in quality, I made up at least somewhat in quantity:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=116702658148033646087&target=ALBUM&id=6313646546861111585

Please bear in mind that I am the copyright holder on all of these photos, and they may not be used without my permission. Feel free to view them, but please, before doing anything else, do the right thing and ask for my permission. You may use the "Private Message" option here, or e-mail me directly at torr286@aol.com

I hope "slideshows" like these may encourage more NAWCC members to attend our annual National Convention, and perhaps encourage some folks who are not NAWCC members to join the Association.

You can join the Association on an "Introductory" basis, with full access to the printed BULLETIN and BULLETIN electronic archives, for just $30 for 4 months.

Membership also entitles you to attend any NAWCC Regional Meeting or National Convention (separate fees apply), rent tables to sell horological items at those meetings, and attend local chapter meetings and their MARTS.

To see all the ways you can join in the activities of NAWCC, please visit this link:
    http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/component/content/article/382

Best regards!

Tim Orr

10. ben_hutcherson

ben_hutcherson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Chemist
    Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  11. gmeyer4

gmeyer4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Male
    CEO
    Morgan Hill
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 gmeyer4, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Frank, Thanks for your post. I spent about 18 months working on a watch for the contest, About another 40 hours in research and the restoration document and spent about $200 to mail the watch in and still have not been notified who won the contest. There were three watches entered. How much effort does it take?? Very disrespectful and another member won't be renewing due to this kind of attitude.

By the way, congratulations to Denis Caringnan. I had no chance against a professional of this caliper but it was a great exercise and a watch worthy of saving.

12. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I honestly don't think certain people who work at Columbia,for the association, really care about the average member. How much trouble would it have taken to notify three people by email of the results after they spent hundreds of hours working on their respective watch's in the Prichard contest. That's a disgrace.

George worked long and hard at learning and then doing a remarkable job in restoration of a very important Lancaster made timepiece. His effort and work was certainly worth at least the courtesy of a simple notification.

I myself am still waiting for a email from the Bulletin editor who said she would get back to me in June. What is going on?

13. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    #13 dweiss17, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Both Burt and gmeyer4 are personal friends of mine. Looking at what they posted - to me - it does sound like disrespect for these two gentlemen of the highest moral character and good will.

As a member going into 52 years of service, goodwill and numerous donations to our NAWCC funding and helping our NAWCC Message Board improvement; I'm terribly sorry these two gentlemen feel the necessity to express their feelings with the great possibility of not renewing their NAWCC membership.

I do understand our employees at times may feel the stress of keeping up with their work problems. However, our NAWCC Leaders, I think, should understand were it not for the membership and sometimes the generosity of foundations or other sources that donate to the upkeep of the NAWCC properties…our employees would have to look for other sources of income.

Not that it means too much to me…but, I proposed months ago…that we should have a special award for NAWCC members reaching 100 years of life…I was told it would be taken into consideration and never heard one word in return.

At my almost age of 101 years of life…I have learned…not all things in life or with the NAWCC go smoothly. So, I will continue to be an NAWCC member in good standing.

BTW: I think we have about twelve [12] members who are centenarians.

14. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't understand why winners can't be posted quickly. We have NAWCC_News where a lot of useless crap is posted, and in reading the ED's weekly newsletter I can tell he is often struggling for something to talk about. There is no reason why we should disappoint members when it is so easy to avoid it.

Frank

15. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been a member on and off for the past 42 years and have personally witnessed the constant downward spiral of this Organization. What a shame to add to that spiral the total lack of respect to Burt, George, and the third Pritchard Prize entrant. For better or for worse, I remember the excitement of getting the Bulletin, attending Regional Meetings and local Chapter meets during the 70's and 80's. Not a lot of anticipation in the 90's and then much less in the 00's and 10's. What is left? I still love to collect Horology but find the NAWCC does not fulfill my needs anymore.
    Paul