Test Stands

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Gentlehands, Jun 13, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gentlehands

Gentlehands New Member

May 20, 2012
    I am planning to buy a clock movement test stand and have seen quite a variety. I am wondering if there are reasons or advantages to buy one type over another? I am working on all different types of brass movements (Ansonia, Newhaven, Gilbert, Seth Thomas, etc.) large and small. If possible, I would prefer to buy only one or two to serve for all kinds, instead of one for each and every type. I am also starting to work on tall case clocks and was wondering what works best for these?

2. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, as you supposed there really isn't one fitzall movement stand. Ideally you will have at least two or more; one for short pendulum clocks that you can place on a work surface and a second for tall clocks that will require a floor standing rig. Perhaps even a third or more specifically for cuckoos and roulants. I began with the small aluminum countertop stand and later added a floorstander and roulant holder. .

3. bkerr

bkerr Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Male
    Sales & Marketing Manager
    Canal Fulton,OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pics below are a result of a conversation with a very good friend who has been in the business many years. I work in the welding field so the stand had to be metal. Notice that one side is open for the removal of the pendlum. I also made seat boards for cuckoos, gf's and others. These are all powder coated so the look sharp as well. The one with the cuckoos has eight stations. I have one other design that is a bit smaller. The stands need to be able to be leveled as well. One thing for sure is you want stabilty, a stand that shakes is no good!

8 station stand.jpg single clock stand.jpg

4. soaringjoy

soaringjoy Registered User

Feb 12, 2009
    Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can only second that.
    Every once in a while, you get a movement you have to fiddle around with, because it won't
    fit a stand.
    I've got one for roulants, one for "regular" spring driven pendulum movements and two wall
    brackets for weighters.

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    GFs need a substantial stand (often called a horse). You can make a great one, capable of holding 4 GF movements, out of a single 2x8x12' and a single 1x4x12'. A table saw, a chop saw (or radial arm saw), and a sabre saw are needed, if you want it to be precisely made. For small clocks there are very simple holders that can be easily made from a few scraps of hardwood. A post clamp style holder was pictured on this list a couple of weeks ago.

For most small clocks you can simply screw them to a piece of plywood that is attached to a wall or workbench. A hole for the hand-shaft and you can mount front mount movements too. Many clocks can be test run by simply setting them on a couple of equal size blocks of wood.

Willie X

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Here are a couple of nice GF clock stands. Prototype #4 is in the background, prototype #5 is in the foreground. They can be made for about 30 bucks each (new material cost). They are both 48" tall. The one in the back has 16" spacing between the uprights; the one in front has a 30" between the uprights. The top rails need to extend 6 to 7" past the uprights left and right. The curved cut-outs at the lower side of the extensions is very important to give you working room. I can send you more info if you wish.

Willie X

IMG_0536.jpg

Raymond Rice likes this.
  7. Gentlehands

Gentlehands New Member

May 20, 2012
    Thank you all for your input. Does anyone have any experience with the bench type, adjustable metal variety?

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    There is a recent thread. Have you searched the topics at the bottom of this page? There are a couple that have been recommended but I don't remember the details.

Good luck, Willie X

9. Scottie-TX

Scottie-TX Registered User
    Deceased

Apr 6, 2004
    Retired
    Mesquite, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've used the teststand listed by TIMESAVERS currently as 19996. I've used it for many years and find it adaptable for most shelf and some short drop wall clock movements. The movable arms, adjustable holding lugs, etc. make it very versatile. Roulants can be a problem but it will hold them. If you need a pixture, I'll add that.

10. Nick Hainis

Nick Hainis Registered User
    NAWCC Business

Sep 6, 2019
    Hey Bkerr. Do you have specs for the larger stand? I know a wielder that could help me fabricate.

Nick

11. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: