Terry 8 Day info needed

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by James Manning, Feb 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. James Manning

James Manning Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Hello, just acquired my first 8 day ww and I have a couple of questions, I am hoping members may be able to help me with....what are the required weights for this mvmt?....also, how many teeth on the escape wheel should the verge span - mine does not engage properly and appears to span 9 teeth - as close as I can tell from tiny pics in references, looks like about 7?....many thanks!

2. Kenneth Brockman

Kenneth Brockman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 5, 2013
    10 - 12 pounds compounded, and you will need (2) pulleys. 11 pounds as an average according to Don Bruno. If the pulleys came with the clock your good to go. Do you have any pictures of the movement. The more pictures the merrier... Weights can be ordered thru Merrit's Clock Supply... Would be nice to see a picture of this clock also... Sometimes you can find these weights on Ebay... Good Luck...

3. James Manning

NAWCC Member

Mar 10, 2010
    terry 001.JPG terry 003.JPG terry 004.JPG

4. James Manning

NAWCC Member

Mar 10, 2010
    as can be seen, lower glass replaced.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Can't tell you about the number of teeth, but to me the verge looks correct, at least it is old. Maybe it just needs to be adjusted a little bit. According to your first picture I would try to close it just a bit. The bend of the crutch wire looks odd, it may need to be corrected. Is the clock in beat?

Uhralt

6. Kenneth Brockman

Kenneth Brockman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Nice Clock, Well worth Restoring...

7. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those verges tend to be pretty hard and they are frequently broken when some one attempts to close them.

8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Uhralt, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    True. Before you attempt to close the verge you need to anneal it in the middle first. I should have mentioned it in my first response. Try to keep the impulse faces cool. A small butane torch with a focused flame no larger than a small candle flame works best.

Another method, described by Jerry Kieffer, is to put the verge into a bench vise putting just a little pressure on it closing it a very small amount. Then heat the center as described above. As the center gets annealed, the verge will lose it's springiness and fall down, closed a very small amount. Test and repeat as necessary.

Uhralt