Tempus Fugit

A

ajlemm

I just bought a keywound mantle clock at an antique shop. It is in very good condition and plays Westminster chimes. The dial says "Tempus Fugit" which I know means "Time Flies" but I don't know who made the clock. The movement is Hermle, but haven't found any matching models by them. Does anyone know who makes this model? Can't seem to find a company called Tempus Fugit, but don't think the clock is a Hermle.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi (?)
What sort of case has your clock? Tempus Fugit is not a maker, but just something which has appeared on many clock dials over the centuries. Hermle movements have been fitted into many case types, and were (are?) available for those who made their own cases

Keep ticking
Mike

A

ajlemm

That is what I figured. It is a very typical "camelback" style (not sure if that is the right term, but it is the very common sloped style of mantle clock).

If the brand isn't on the face, where would I find it?

If someone actually did build it and it isn't an actual retail clock, they did a darn good job. The chime strike that plays Westminster chimes is totally mellow and great.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Hi (still don't know your name!)
If it is the classic 'Napoleon' shape (purportedly like his hat) and is not homemade, then it is made by Hermle. Many manufacturers did not put any name on dial so that the retailer could - thus paving the way for even more ebay misdescription ;)
These clocks were made in great numbers in Germany from the 1920s and later in England - started by the English-sounding Enfield company - started by two German brothers in Enfield, north London, and later bought out by Smiths

Keep ticking
Mike

A

ajlemm

Thanks, guys. I will have to wait until I am home again to check it, which isn't until Christmas day. But now I am excited to check it out. I will look for those letters and numbers. Yes, it is that "Napoleon" shape.

By the way, my name is Tony (Anthony). Everything on the clock looks original, and it is possible that it isn't too old. It has a few scuffs on the dial. I would think that it has a few years, but it is pretty clean and the movement is in exceptionally good condition. I can't wait to check out the date code. Will let you know here when I do.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
In the old clock catalogs this shape was referred to as tambour. I've seen these referred to as, Camel backs, humbacks, Admirals hats, Napolean hats, and just Napoleans. Anybody else?

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC #35863

A

ajlemm

I will post some pics after xmas to see if anyone can help.

Thanks everyone!

Richard T.

Deceased
Deceased
Apr 7, 2005
Country
Region
The thread you replied to is more than 9 years old??.....I doubt that you get a reply from the original poster.

soaringjoy

Feb 12, 2009
Germany, North Rhine-Westphalia
Country
Region
I do hope, he only lost his camera. :eek:

But, while we're at it, we might add some general "Tempus Fugit" information to
the records.
The term did show up on a broad basis and very commonly during the 1970s and after.
It was also used during the 1920s and 1930s on some particular bracket clocks though.
So, always look twice, when you see "Tempus Fugit". :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller