• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Tempus Fugit Grandmother Clock 1970s Chime Disonnected

Adrian Lilly

Oct 12, 2021
Country
I am getting ready to purchase a small Grandmother clock. I will post pics once I do. The issue is that the chime mechanisms seem to have been unhooked and it appears that a chord connected them. I was wondering if anyone would know how to reconnect it all? I dont have pics yet. I would like to understand a little more about how the chime mechanisms and hammers connect. As soon as I get more information I will post it. The clock is from the 1970s and there was a way to disconnect the chimes. It looked like they were.

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country
Without pictures or more information, this is speculation, but generally the string mechanism is used on some clocks to silence the chimes, not to operate them.

If a clock movement is worn, often the chimes are the first to go, as the chime mechanism needs the most power to operate, so it is very likely, especially on a clock of this age, that the movement needs to be overhauled and possibly replaced.

Cheers, Rod

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
And I'll add for your information that Tempus Fugit is just Latin (I think) for Time Flies. The manufacturer info might show on the back plate.

Reactions: Adrian Lilly

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
I don’t want to curb anyone’s enthusiasm, but clocks made in the 70s that say tempus fugit on them are typically of substantially less quality than older grandfather clocks. Clocks made prior to the 1930s had movements that are still running… whereas clocks from the 70s used movements with built-in lifespans of maybe 25 years… making it less time consuming to replace movements rather than repair them… neither option being cost justifiable.

I don’t know what your clock is going to cost you, I don’t know what features it has, and I don’t know what, if any, sentimental value it has… But given the grandfather clocks I have found on craigslist for less than 500 bucks you might want to reconsider. Examples include a grandfather clock from 1780, a Scottish grandfather clock with flamed mahogany case from 1820, a Waterbury eight jewelers regulator, etc.

My advice would be to educate yourself as a grandfather clock shopper and go looking for hidden treasure. i’m not saying craigslist is littered with such opportunities but they can be had.

All of that said, the message board rules prohibit discussions of active for sale or auction items. The only reason I offered my comments is because we have no specifics about your clock… which makes my comments extremely broad brush and general… and spot on. :)

Adrian Lilly

Oct 12, 2021
Country
It is a Barwick clock a division of Howard Miller company. When I got into it it was dusty dirty. I cleaned it oiled it and it is ticking away. Chimes are also working they were locked up with dust. I got my moneys worth :) Nice clock and it still has the owners manual.

20211021_152811~2.jpg 20211021_164402.jpg 20211021_161508~2.jpg

Adrian Lilly

Oct 12, 2021
Country
I don’t want to curb anyone’s enthusiasm, but clocks made in the 70s that say tempus fugit on them are typically of substantially less quality than older grandfather clocks. Clocks made prior to the 1930s had movements that are still running… whereas clocks from the 70s used movements with built-in lifespans of maybe 25 years… making it less time consuming to replace movements rather than repair them… neither option being cost justifiable.

I don’t know what your clock is going to cost you, I don’t know what features it has, and I don’t know what, if any, sentimental value it has… But given the grandfather clocks I have found on craigslist for less than 500 bucks you might want to reconsider. Examples include a grandfather clock from 1780, a Scottish grandfather clock with flamed mahogany case from 1820, a Waterbury eight jewelers regulator, etc.

My advice would be to educate yourself as a grandfather clock shopper and go looking for hidden treasure. i’m not saying craigslist is littered with such opportunities but they can be had.

All of that said, the message board rules prohibit discussions of active for sale or auction items. The only reason I offered my comments is because we have no specifics about your clock… which makes my comments extremely broad brush and general… and spot on. :)
I would love to find one from the 1800s or earlier. This one was around $70.00 I couldnt turn that down :) Thankfully after a little work it runs great now. It wasn't near as bad as I thought it was.

Adrian Lilly

Oct 12, 2021
Country
Without pictures or more information, this is speculation, but generally the string mechanism is used on some clocks to silence the chimes, not to operate them.

If a clock movement is worn, often the chimes are the first to go, as the chime mechanism needs the most power to operate, so it is very likely, especially on a clock of this age, that the movement needs to be overhauled and possibly replaced.

Cheers, Rod
It was the silencing mechanism that was unattached . I did a little work on it and it chimes fine now. It is running good too.

Adrian Lilly

Oct 12, 2021
Country
Just a follow up on all this. I oiled and cleaned the movement and it has been running fine and chiming beautifully since I last posted. :)

Reactions: Rod Schaffter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigDon
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-