• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Telechron Telechron timer -- repair thoughts?

Nathan441

Jun 22, 2019
Country
Found this forum because we've never seen the Telechron timer on our Wedgewood stove work. I replaced the wire but that didn't do the trick. It looks like there's some damage to the coil, but otherwise I'm at a loss. Looking for some help to point me in the right direction!

IMG_20190622_111735.jpg IMG_20190622_111744.jpg IMG_20190622_111754.jpg

davefr

NAWCC Member
Nov 29, 2008
Oregon
www.telechronclock.com
Country
Region
Separate the motor from the clock, power it up and confirm it's getting 120 VAC. (be very careful working with 120VAC or take it to a clock repairman). If the rotor's pinion gear does not turn at 3.6 RPM, then test the coil for around 600 ohms + or -. If the coil tests good and is energized then you likely have an H-3 rotor well past it's useful life (most common issue). I can provide a replacement here:
Online Telechron Parts, rotor and motor sales

If your coil tests good, then you should reinforce the outer paper wrapping with 3M #27 Glass Cloth tape. That old loose insulation paper does not have much strength left and if those solder terminals break off from the tiny magnet wire going to the core of the coil then you'll likely have to replace the coil which I can also provide.

I'd also suggest giving that movement a good cleaning. Kitchen clocks are susceptible to a build up of dirt/grease.

If the motor runs only when separated from the clock then you likely have problems with the movement.

More troubleshooting tips here:
Troubleshooting Tips

skruft

Aug 5, 2002
Country
I agree. Most commonly in these clocks the rotor stops for lack of lubrication (a whole long story).