• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Telechron Telechron runs backward. Why?

ANDY YALE

Jun 14, 2013
Jersey City, NJ
Country
Region
I am in the process of getting an old Telchron Model 700 Electroalarm running. I have posted it about a month ago on this board.
It seems to have a bad B2 rotor and a bad coil. Rather then get the rotor restored I thought I would search the local flea markets, yard sales and junk stores for a working Telechron with a B2 rotor. It took me a week to find one, a Warren Telechron mantel clock for 5 bucks.
It ran, but noisily. I took it apart, removed the rotor from the stator frame, and compared it to the B2 rotor from the Electroalarm. They appear identical. Since I now had a know working coil, I figured I would test the rotor from the Electroalarm with it. This rotor worked as well.
However, when I put the mantel clock back together, after disassembling, cleaning and oiling the movement, the clock ran in reverse. I thought I had switched polarity on the coil wires, so I reversed their connection to the leads. It still runs in reverse. There is only one way to put the movement in the case, due to the cut out for the interuption disk on the dial. The movement is not in upside down, which was my first thought.
My only clue is this: I think I took the rotor out of the coil with the current still on. This would be the same action you would use to demagnetize a watch - place it near the demagnetizer with the current on then move it away from the magnetic field. Is it possible that this somehow switched the magnetic field of the rotor?
I'm puzzled, but like the man says, "I'm learning all the time."

ANDY YALE

Jun 14, 2013
Jersey City, NJ
Country
Region
I know what reverse polarity is. Which is why I switched the power lead to coil connections. How else is it possible for it to be reverse polarity? Please explain.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
First I'll ask, why take the rotor out while the current is flowing?

By what notion did you imagine that this would be the way to go?

Second, I'll ask you to clarify, you checked both rotors but which coil are you attempting to use one of them with now?

Thirdly, did you disconnect wires in this disassembly? If so, did you put everything back the same way?

ANDY YALE

Jun 14, 2013
Jersey City, NJ
Country
Region
I would appreciate information, not questions indicating you didn't fully read my original post. If your goal is to prove that I am an *******, I already know that.
Yes, I disconnected wires. As stated in first post, I reversed them when I saw clock running backwards with no effect.
Second, I took the rotor out of stator with current on without giving it much thought. Until later.
Third, I checked the receptacle for reverse polarity and it is OK, it is also the same receptacle that the clock ran correctly on before I tinkered with it.
I would appreciate any useful, helpful info or advice you might be kind enough to offer.

Allan Wolff

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Country
Region
Reversing the power leads will not have any effect. It is alternating current and does not have a polarity.
Telechron rotors will run backwards if you put them in the wrong side of the frame. Take the rotor out and put it in the other side of the frame.
Also mentioned in this post.

Reactions: leeinv66

ElectricTime

NAWCC Business
Sep 28, 2002
Reversing the power leads will not have any effect. It is alternating current and does not have a polarity.
Telechron rotors will run backwards if you put them in the wrong side of the frame. Take the rotor out and put it in the other side of the frame.
Also mentioned in this post.
the shading pole which is what makes the motor start in the correct direction.

ANDY YALE

Jun 14, 2013
Jersey City, NJ
Country
Region
running nicely now. thanks to all who helped. I'm back to the Model 700 Electroalarm, on which I hope to get the coil leads working again.

DSC07995 - Edited.jpg