Telechron repair question

rich84

Mar 23, 2005
Hi
I have a telechron clock that I agreed to repair for a friend. The problem was said to be in carrying the hands. He said the hands stalled and then quivered. When I first tested it, the clock ran ok but it was a bit noisy. I assume that it started to run for me after being stored for an extended period and the oil was breaking loose.
I repair mechanical clocks but few electric clocks.
The motor has a visible coat of discolored oil. What is the normal procedure to repair a clock like this? Or is it acceptable to run as is?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2187[1].JPG IMG_2186[1].JPG IMG_2185[1].JPG

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region
Rich there are a number of threads here about working on these electric clocks. It could be the rotor. If you take the stator / field pole assembly off and remove the rotor you can see what type it is. There are suggestions regarding adding lube and also repairing depending on what is wrong. Also you would like to look at behind the dial to make sure that there is not excessive where there.

David

davefr

NAWCC Member
Nov 29, 2008
Oregon
www.telechronclock.com
Country
Region
Remove the motor from the clock and plug it in. Pinch the rotor's pinion gear with light to medium finger pressure. If it stalls or is noisy then the H-3 rotor is well past it's useful life and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. (don't attempt to drill the rotor, it'll damage the internal gear train).

At the same time thoroughly clean the clock's movement. (Those kitchen wall clock movements tend to get very dirty.)

More Telechron troubleshooting info here:
Troubleshooting Tips

rich84

Mar 23, 2005
Thanks for the replies, they are very informative.
I will follow up, though slowly, with the suggestions.

rich84

Mar 23, 2005
I disassembled the motor and gave the rotor the finger pressure test, which it passed. I oiled the motion works and assembled to see where I was at. The clock ran and was a little quieter at first, but after several hours it got much louder. Markings on the rotor are "H3 TC 3.6RPM 60-C M2309 135". Is the problem in the rotor? Is it repairable? If I buy a replacement, what kind is it?

davefr

NAWCC Member
Nov 29, 2008
Oregon
www.telechronclock.com
Country
Region
If the rotor is noisy when separated from the clock, then it needs to be replaced/restored. You should not be able to hear an H-3 rotor run unless it's right up to your ear.

Just use the link in my signature and I can provide a restored H-3 rotor.

You should not use too much oil for your movement. They're best when they're squeaky clean with only a little bit of oil where shafts enter the plate bushings. Gear wheels should never be oiled. (oil attracts dirt). Two drops is more then enough for the average Telechron clock movement.

rich84

Mar 23, 2005
One more question.
How important is the M2309 as stamped on the rotor? I noticed that a few rotors with different 'M' numbers were available on ebay, none were M2309.

davefr

NAWCC Member
Nov 29, 2008
Oregon
www.telechronclock.com
Country
Region
The M# is pretty meaningless. There are many identical Telechron rotors with different M numbers. The vast majority of H-3 rotors were 10 tooth, 60 cycles, 3.6 RPM.

What's important in rotor ID is style, shaft/gear configuration, cycles and speed.

rich84

Mar 23, 2005
Thanks again for all the information, it's been educational.

Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crames
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre