• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Telechron Electroalarm Repair Questions

ANDY YALE

Jun 14, 2013
Jersey City, NJ
Country
Region
I have been working on a Telechron Electroalarm for about 2 years. It has a good motor but the coil is defective. I finally found a good coil for it in a derelict Telechron alarm clock that had a built in light. This coil will make the rotor turn and the defective rotor that came out of the donor clock is identical to the original rotor in the Telechron.
Here are my questions. The original coil had no identifying marks, had 4 wires. One set read at 1.3 ohms, the other set was open. The coil I plan to use is marked with a 52, has 4 wires, one set reading at 1.7 ohms, the other at 885 ohms. I believe the pair that reads at 885 is a step down for the light, it puts out 3.3 volts when the other pair of wires is connected to an AC outlet.
Will this coil work correctly in the Electroalarm?
Any general advice also welcome.

davefr

NAWCC Member
Nov 29, 2008
Oregon
www.telechronclock.com
Country
Region
The two leads that read 885 ohms are for the 120VAC input. When those are connected the other two leads (1.7 ohms) provide a low voltage output to the lamp. If you connect 120 VAC to the two low voltage leads you'll fry the coil.

ANDY YALE

Jun 14, 2013
Jersey City, NJ
Country
Region
Thanks for that. The electroalarm has a second coil for the bell and a somewhat complex circuit for the alarm that I am just figuring out. I'm hoping that by replacing the coil with a good one and restoring all the original connections, all functions will be revived.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMW24
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions