Tekippe Precision Regulator

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Phil Burman, Apr 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Phil Burman

Phil Burman Registered User

Mar 8, 2014
    Suffolk England
    Country Flag:
    I have been aware of the Simple Regulator by Bernard Tekippe for some time and have searched extensively on the internet but can find very little detail regarding the remarkable performance of this clock. I’ve found the two NAWCC articles by Bernard Tekippe, one thread on this board, a YouTube video and of course Bernard Tekippe web site. For such a remarkable performance I expected to find masses of third party discussion and possibly a couple of detailed peer reviews, but there’s nothing. What have I missed?

Phil

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bernie has been working on the regulator for a very long time. I believe he started back when the group of Atlanta NAWCC members got together to build a set of Willard Lighthouse Clocks.

He gave a presentation on the theory at the Ward Francillon Time Symposium in Portland OR and there was surprisingly little discussion there.

My personal view is that the concept is brilliant. I am sure you have studied it enough to know that the idea is to use a very large arc of the pendulum to minimize or eliminate the secondary errors from environmental disturbances, barometric pressure, etc. and to correct the implicit circular error by manipulating what we always have called "escapement error."

My guess is that the idea just does not appeal to traditional clock makers. Here is the paper that Tom Van Baak presented in Greenwich on the general subject with special reference to Harrison and Burgess, but no mention of Tekippe. http://leapsecond.com/pend/clockb/2015-tvb-Greenwich-ClockB-ppt.pdf. Here is another article on Martin Burgess Clock B, Burgess Clock B, The World's Most Precise Pendulum Clock, Is Made To A 250-Year-Old Design By John Harrison, Longitude Prize Winner And Inventor Of The Marine Chronometer | Quill & Pad.

Maybe someone at a prestigious lab somewhere needs to do a formal study on Bernie's clocks. I have been tempted to buy one, but have not done so.

3. tok-tokkie

tok-tokkie Registered User

Nov 25, 2010
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Country Flag:
    On the contrary. Tekippe uses a vary modest pendulum arc. Quote from http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/2010/articles/2010/385/385_131.pdf
    The sentences before that describe how he came to that arc:

4. Phil Burman

Mar 8, 2014
    Suffolk England
    Country Flag:
    Thank you both for the feedback.

Phil

5. jkgarner

jkgarner Registered User

Apr 24, 2018
    Male
    Montgomery, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The paper is brilliant and shows a disciplined approach to improvement. What was accomplished is nothing short of phenomenal, without the use of barometric pressure control, or temperature control, or a vacuum, Tekippe achieved with his regulator comparable accuracy to what the best time keepers of the early 20th century were able to do with the compensations... time controls suitable for laboratories! The discussion not only details exactly how the result was achieved, but proves beyond any doubt using the latest testing tools that it functions as designed and is highly accurate.

If the industry had not moved away from mechanical clocks due to the advent of quartz crystal technology, or the use of atomic vibration to measure time, we all would have heard about Tekippe's work and lauded him as a great thinker.

Anyone who relishes the mechanical clocks and wish to keep these marvels of engineering working, should take a moment to read the article and appreciate what he accomplished.

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree that Bernie's work is brilliant. However, Harrison accomplished the same results in the mid 18th century with similar analysis and approach. The common theme is to identify errors with counter effects and manipulate them to minimize the system error.

Clockmaker John Harrison vindicated 250 years after ‘absurd’ claims

Martin Burgess' paper at the Longitude Symposium in November 1993 describes in depth Harrison's approach to precision timekeeping and why his technology was lost for 200 years. It is published in The Quest for Longitude, which is the proceedings of the symposium. Martin also mentions the display clock he created for Gurney's Bank which is briefly discussed in the Clock & Watch Bulletin. http://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1980/articles/1989/260/260_236.pdf

7. Phil Burman

Mar 8, 2014
    Suffolk England
    Country Flag:
    His clock does include temperature compensation.

Phil

PS: Also Philip Woodwards work showed that the need for barometric compensation was partly a function of where you lived on the planet.