Help Teeth on a main wheel are flattened

Robert Horneman

Jul 6, 2017
Country
Can the teeth be repaired? How can I remove the plate with the teeth?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Use the drag and drop method. That should work fine.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
We need to know more about this clock. For many open spring clocks the wheel with the worn teeth can be removed and flipped over to use the unworn side. How to will have to wait until we see the pictures. I can't help with the iPhone uploads but I'm sure someone will be along to explain how. If you have a PC one option may be to transfer the pictures to the PC and upload from the PC instead of the iPhone.

RC

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
The main wheel with the flattened teeth may be a victim rather than the cause of the problem. There may be underlying problems that caused the teeth to flatten.
In addition, the flattened teeth you noticed may have caused secondary damage in the clock wheel train.
Unless you solve the root problem, the situation will/may happen again.
It would be a good idea to check the integrity of the click, click return spring, ratchet wheel, the main spring, wear in the train, etc.
If that is a two train clock, both trains have gone through the wind, unwind cycle the same number of times and the other train may need attention as well.
Best Regards,
Dick

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
use the ‘from pc’ button to upload images. impossible to comment without seeing the issue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akrampe64
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff