Tavannes cal?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Horologist, Aug 3, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Horologist

Horologist Registered User

Jul 26, 2007
    Need a little help to identify this vintage Tavannes pocket watch movement.
    Anyone know which cal is this?
    Thanks. :thumb:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7839/k338cgg9.jpg

2. Horologist

Jul 26, 2007
    oops, posted in the wrong section.
    maybe the mod can help me shift this to the European & Other Pocket Watches?
    sorry about it. :bang:

3. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Other than 8 day, I don't know what they called it.

4. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Possibly a "Pleiades". Note the arrangement of the jewels, similar to the astronomical object.

5. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    It is a Tavannes Watch Co.
    Cal 17''' - 10
    Ref.
    700/702 Sav.
    701/703 Lep.
    (Pleiade)

Other than the size, I have no idea what most of that means, but that is what it is. :?| This is all in French and I had to leave several accents off various letters when typing them. This should be close to a 12 size movement. It was being produced in the 1930s, at least that is when my source was published.

Tavannes actually made watches, unlike most Swiss brands you see. They were located in Chaux de Fonds.

Don

6. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a question for Don: It's nice to have one's suspicions verified by the more knowledgeable, what is your source of info. The reason I ask is because I just obtained a 15J PW marked "Advance" which is one of Tavannes's trademarks. Pritchard has a number of pages on Tavannes, but doesn't get into movements.

7. Horologist

Jul 26, 2007
    Hi Don, thanks for the info. :thumb:
    So this is a Tavannes cal. 017?
    I'm actually looking for replacement balance staff for it so have to be sure.

8. watchfriends

watchfriends Registered User

Jul 23, 2007
    I saw this calibre first time in ebay and i ever thought that is an 8 day watch.

But it isn't... is there an fake jewel? It is much interessted

9. Horologist

Jul 26, 2007
    I've took a couple of pictures to show you the gear train.
    The movement is not in running condition so i really don't know
    but i don't think it's a 8 days movement too. :?|
    Why is it made this way? maybe someone else will be able to answer that.

26.jpg

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6240/2smallhn6.jpg

10. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe the movement was layed out like this for thinness? You will note that the center arbor has a pinion only - no wheel - so this normally large center wheel does not have to lie over or under the balance wheel. The next wheel in the train is the steel wheel which is an idler wheel with no pinion - all it does is reverse the train and get the gear train out from over (or under) the balance wheel. There are then two standard wheels with pinions to gear it down to the wheel that has the seconds hand. The extra gear also reverses the direction again so that the seconds hand turns properly. What is normally the 4th wheel is the 6th in this watch. These commonly have 21 jewels, with full pairs of jewels on most of the train, an upper center wheel jewel and an upper cap on the escape wheel.

It is just a one day movement.

11. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Ron,

The library has two books from the 1930s that show pictures of the movements of the major Swiss manufacturers of ebauche movements. I cannot remember the titles. The next time we are at the library together, I'll show you where they are hidden. :)

I cannot gurantee my identification. People never include the size of the movement when they ask these questions. All I did is match the bridge appearance. If Tavannes used the same plate configuration on a different model that was not pictures, I could be off base.

Horlogist needs to confirms that his movement is 17''' - 10 in size. All I can say is that his picture matches the one I have down to the screw positions.

As far as finding a balance staff. Most of us have stashes of Swiss staffs that we purchased before we knew better. It is more of a question of measuring the old staff and then running through the stash hoping to find one to match. I don't know if you can order a staff for a specific Swiss ebauche movement from the early 1900s. Maybe if we lived in Switzerland, but not here.

Don