• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Eureka Tall Eureka impulse lever removal?

wisty

Dec 24, 2014
Country
I am about to start cleaning my tall movement Eureka. However I can't see how to remove the impulse lever from its bearings (photo). I though I would ask before potentially doing harm.

On my short movement clock, and in the drawings of a tall movement (pp 46 & 47) in Alan Shenton's book, the lever is in two parts held together with a couple of screws. Taking these out splits the lever and allows its removal from the pivots.

On my tall movement clock, and several of the tall movements shown in Peter Smith's Horologix gallery, the impulse lever is fabricated in one piece, with a "bow" round the pivots.

Is it simply a question of easing the bow open until the pivots clear the pins (there being enough spring in the bow to allow this), or am I missing something?

Bell Crank 1.jpg

BLKBEARD

NAWCC Member
Nov 15, 2016
CT
sailorsandsettlersantiques.com
Country
Region
It looks like it needs to spread open.
Maybe a Clock Plate Spreader, or Internal Snap Ring Pliers will work to give you a controlled spread.

James McDermaid

Apr 29, 2011
I go wit the careful spread plan. My Eureka has the same part.

I see no other way. It looks like it is a long enough brass loop that it should spring open just enough to drop it off of the pivot without permanently bending it.

Keep us posted as you progress.

Jim

wisty

Dec 24, 2014
Country
An update on progress.

As suggested the bell crank is simply sprung onto the pivots. The bad news is that it is not particularly springy brass, and tends to open a bit when you take it off. The good news is its not particularly springy brass and easy to squeeze back together a bit once replaced.

The clock is now cleaned with a new pin and flag set. The case glass replaced and the wood polished. With a bit of tweaking it's keeping time on a 1.5v adjustable power supply to within a minute or two a day.

I am trying to source a governor for it - my short movement has one of Bryan Mumfords - which he no longer makes - and keeps time to quartz accuracy.

jkfabulos

NAWCC Member
Aug 21, 2001
Ken's clock clinic can help you with making it keep better time.
JFI.

Terry Gray

Apr 15, 2018
Rye East Sussex United Kingdom
Country
Region
it just pops out,they are fairly robust,and are not a problem,i presume you are referring to the bell crank leaver?bot look for wear the pivot holes elongate,