Tall English Clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by tlw1344, Apr 15, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have purchased a Tall English clock which dates back to the 1850's. I have never seen a clock this size. It needs some work but I am excited about what I will have when it is completed. The finials are missing on the bonnet. Can anyone tell me the originals looked like, brass or wood and how tall? The clock is very tall with a wide bonnet. The height is 93 inches tall, the bonnet is 24 inches wide, the waist is 10 inches wide and the base is 11 inches wide. I plan to have the dial restored. Any information that you can give about his clock would be helpful.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx191/tlw1344/TE.jpg

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx191/tlw1344/TEBonnet.jpg

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx191/tlw1344/TEBonnet1.jpg

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx191/tlw1344/ETDM.jpg

2. dAz57

dAz57 Registered User

Dec 7, 2011
    watchmaker
    sydney Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    pretty normal size for English longcases of that period, can you get a clearer photo of the makers name and town on the dial?

3. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I started to take a closer picture of the dial the realized that I mailed it this morning to be restored. July is the target date to have the dial completed. Wish I knew what type of finial would be correct. Timesavers has a number of styles both in wood and brass. It takes 3 finials on the bonnet.

4. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The best I can tell the writing on the dial is Josh Blackhurst.....Weaverham.

5. Richard T.

Richard T. Deceased
    Donor NAWCC Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Richard T., Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
    Hi Tommy,

Good looking clock! Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World, Loomes, 21st Cent Edition list a Joseph Blackhurst working in Weaverham, Cheshire. Married 1815-65. His brother was a cabinetmaker who made his clock cases. No other info listed.

Best,

Richard T.

6. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Richard. The case needs a lot of the veneer work because it's cracked or missing. Part of one front and a rear leg is missing plus some of the small molding. It will be a wonderful clock when finished. I will start restoring the movement next week. I sent the dial to The Dial House II for restoring.

7. Mike Phelan

Mike Phelan Registered User

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice clock and common for them to still be made in the North when longcase clocks faded out sooner in places like London.

Wide cases are common in this part of England and were made for the nouveau-riche mill owners who had to have the most expensive furniture in their mansions!

Weaverham is a large village on the edge of Delamere Forest.

8. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Mike,

The finials are missing on this clock. Can you tell me what type should I buy? Brass or wood and the height of them. A picture would be wonder! ;)

9. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Stickleback,

Perfect!! Just what I needed. I finished restoring the movement this morning and it is running on my stand. Thanks for the links! :)

10. Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bit late now, sorry, but probably brass. Might be a problem finding some as the ones sold at material dealers (here in England, that is) are usually too small.

11. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Mike,

Timesavers have several brass finials available. The one I like is brass, 108mm tall and diameter is 45mm. Is this something that will fit?

12. Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seems about right to me; give it a go!

13. Oldfathertime

Oldfathertime Registered User

Sep 8, 2010
    Retired Farmer.
    S.West U.K.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    93" is about the standard for that type of English longcase clock of that period. I would put the date of it nearer the earlier stated as it looks like a painted face and the calendar wheel is comensurate for a clock of that type and date, these clocks were not the very top drawer ones as the case has very minimal decoration but is a little better than what was generically called a 'cottage' clock. I'm guessing that it's a single chain and weight 30 hour clock? As for the hood fineals they would have originally been dark turned wooden ones, brass ones would make it look a bit 'over-hatted' in my opinion.

14. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not a 30 hour clock. It has the standard Tall English movement that I have seen on these clocks. Two weights that are 12 lbs each.

15. Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
    Retired
    West Yorkshire, England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's certainly an eight day LC made in about 1830-1840. Thirty-hour clocks generally don't have such wide cases. There are always a few exceptions; remember these clocks were not made on a production line!

16. tlw1344

tlw1344 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Central Alabama
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Mike,

Would I be correct if I said that this clock was made in England between 1830-1840? I have a professional antique furniture company that will pick up the case today and repair part of a missing front and back leg, replace the cracked and missing veneer, replace some of the small molding that is missing, clean and rub all the woodwork. I will put a photo up when I get the dial and case back. The movement continues to run on my stand....So excited!