• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

American Tall Clocks

Daniel West

NAWCC Member
May 3, 2018
Lancaster County, PA
Country
Greetings, friends. I'm a newbie in the clock world and want to start my collection. I'd love to find a nice early American tall clock that would be a centerpiece for my emerging hobby. I've found some nice looking clocks at antique stores but, being a novice, I'm not sure if they are authentic, priced correctly, or in good shape. How do I find a nice clock?
Dan

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Greetings, friends. I'm a newbie in the clock world and want to start my collection. I'd love to find a nice early American tall clock that would be a centerpiece for my emerging hobby. I've found some nice looking clocks at antique stores but, being a novice, I'm not sure if they are authentic, priced correctly, or in good shape. How do I find a nice clock?
Dan
I recommend looking at a number of books and auction sites to better determine what you like. Skinners is a good place to start. A sort of past auctions like this will show you about 1000 tall clocks, when they sold, what they brought etc. Search All Lots | Skinner Auctioneers Also, local NAWCC members could be of assistance. You are in the middle of an exceptional place to find Penn tall clocks. There is also a great clock dealer in NJ that has a lot of PA and other tall clocks for sale. PM me if you want some more information on his clocks.

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
Well, ive found that most everything at an antique shop is generally very overpriced unless it doesn't work. I agree with my sensei above. Look around online. Get an idea of what you like and the values of said clocks. That way you will know when a good deal comes your way. If possible, maybe you can find a clock person in your home town that might be willing to take you under your wing like jim has done for me. Even though we aren't interested in the same kind of clocks, there is still an infinite number of things that can be learned from those who have been at this a while.

Reactions: Jim DuBois

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Keep in mind that the clock market has collapsed for the most part. It's a buyers market if there was one. So, be patient and you can build a really nice collection for not to much money.

It will be very much in your favor to learn the basics of clock repair before you get started buying anything. Otherwise you will have to rely on others and this can stifle your collecting.

Good luck, Willie X