tall clock feet, suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by oricko, Mar 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. oricko

oricko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Male
    retired
    grass valley, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am attempting to restore the feet on this English white dial clock case. I ask, are what is left on the feet original to the circa 1820 case? could they be this crude? Could the sides be two feet with a molding from front to back over the top of the feet? the case sides are about 3/8ths thick.
    question two, Could the seat board be expected to sit on the front corners and the slim case sides? The case here is maybe 5/16 ths thick.

DSC01293.JPG DSC01296.JPG DSC01299.JPG DSC01305.JPG DSC01297.JPG seat 1.JPG seat 2.JPG seat 3.JPG

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Answer to both is yes, this is a provincial case. Most no longer have feet, they have been squared off with a skirting piece that takes the weight but most if not all clocks had feet at some point. It was a real problem area as the floors were washed and the bottom of the clocks rotted/got eaten.

The side cheeks of the case where the seatboard rests are end grain in compression, it doesn't take much to support the weight of the clock/weights/pendulum

3. oricko

oricko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Male
    retired
    grass valley, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the information. I will try to match the existing foot. Reading your answer, and thinking of the abuse over 200 years I guess I'm lucky to have what is there. Rick
    This clock found it's was to America about 40 years ago. this was when we were importing containers of antiques from England. Every shipment we would get 2 to 4 white dial long case clocks. Most of the cases had terrible proportions. We got one 40 ft. container a month, and usually 25 clocks would be in there. mantle, wall, and long case. Those were the days !

4. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree. The colour, patina, wood grain, construction details, and style all seem consistent with the feet being original.