Tall clock 3" date dial restoration - help to get a good picture of one...

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by vlad0002, Feb 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. vlad0002

vlad0002 Registered User

Feb 24, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi guys,

I bought an old tall clock few days ago. No marks on the face or the movement, but the dial is stamped on the back in few places: "Wilson birm" I've attached few pictures.

The face and moon dial are in decent shape, I'll leave them as is. However, the small date ring has ~ no paint left. It's a 3" ring that probably had numbers in steps of 3: 3-6-9-12...31. I might decide to send it for a proper resoration (have it painted) down the road, but for now I am trying to find a good scan/picture that I would be able to use to make a sticker. Can anyone help me with that? Just a good picture will do, the higher res the better...

This is what it looks like now:

IMG_1232.jpg

Any toughts on the clock itself would also be much appreciated. Time train works fine, but the strike has one wheel with a missing tooth - will bring it to a local clock shop to se if it can be repaired/replaced. The case seems to be refinished.

Thanks a lot!

Vlad

IMG_1225.jpg IMG_1224.jpg IMG_1213.jpg IMG_1216.jpg IMG_1208.jpg IMG_1206.jpg IMG_1201.jpg

2. Sooth

Sooth Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 19, 2005
    Cabinetmaker
    Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The "Wilson Birmingham" will simply be the dial maker in this particular case (marked on the false plate). The dial would have been ordered by the clockmaker with his name painted on the front. You may be able to read the name with a black light, or with oblique lighting (looking at the paint at an angle in the light). As for the date dial, it would just be white with a ring of numbers in intervals (matching the ones on the main dial minute ring). There are examples of dials here, but none with anything that you could easily print out. Grandfather Clock Dial

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    very unusual plates and pillars on the movement.