Tall case identity

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Rodney Wilbert, Jul 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rodney Wilbert

Rodney Wilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hey folks. I just purchased this old tall case today. I have always wanted one but could bring myself to pay the price. I paid $350.00 for this one in working order. My questions to all of you is since there is no makers name anywhere that i can see, any idea of who would have made it and or the age ? It's in fairly rough condition with the case having been striped , pine I believe, missing the three finials whether they were wood or brass and the face has some issues. But needless to say I still love it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

20190718_141716.jpg 20190718_142637.jpg 20190718_142647.jpg 20190718_142652.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It does seem to have a hard life, but essentially it is all there and probably has original hands. I would think there is a name and town on the dial. try oblique lighting or different wavelengths of light you might pick something out. Looks like it is somewhere around the second quarter of the 19th century.

Martin Fogle likes this.
  3. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nicely painted and unusual corners and arch though the numbering is less so even allowing for the wear. I'd think the dial is the latter part of the the first quarter or early part of the second quarter of the 19th C. Finials are typically brass rather than wood.

4. Rodney Wilbert

Rodney Wilbert Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks guys for the input. Timekeeper, I will try the light theory and see what I can come up with. JM, with your opinion of the age being like timekeepers I'm feeling confident about the age. My next step if I can find a name would be it's place of origin.