Tall case attributes

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Barry Prager, Apr 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. Barry Prager

Barry Prager Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Have found a tall case recently that I am interested in purchasing. Since my experience with these is limited, I am interested to know if anyone can help me identify some of the characteristics that are present. The owner has indicated that the clock is from the 18th century. The case is in excellent condition and has two unique features that I need help with. First is the movement: it has brass gears but wooden plates. Is this indicative of a specific time period of construction or has someone possibly replaced the original wooden gears with brass? Second is the dial: it is made completely of wood. Again, is this something that indicates age or time frame?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    brass gears wooden plates you need the woodworks experts, however what you really need is quality photographs in focus and square on of movement both sides, dial and case. Not my field but I would as the same if it were English and brass movement.

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brass gears, wooden plates have widely been used in clock movements made in the Black Forest, Germany. They have been made for over a century, for dating the clock we would therefore need pictures.

Uhralt

4. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Need good photographs....

Brass wheels with wood plate movements are early to mid 19th century German, so the seller's comments are questionable.

Movements were exported to US and cases built locally and movements installed in them. This process is all pretty well documented in horological literature.

Wooden dials were common with wood movement tall clocks, but their production ended in early 1820s as wooden movement shelf clocks ramped up, but they used wood dials.

Be careful there are a lot of put together clocks that are not correct.

Andy Dervan

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    They continued being made even after 1900.

Uhralt

6. Barry Prager

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Ok..thanks for the responses...did get some pics of the case..unfortunately not of the movement

20200407_135410.jpg 20200407_142845.jpg 20200407_134325.jpg 20200407_142845.jpg

7. Barry Prager

NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Oops..somehow attached pics of another clock (Ridgeway) please disregard those

8. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see it has a centre hand for the date. That seems a very common feature on American clocks but an unusual feature on English clocks. Is it a common feature on Black Forest, is that how it got to be so common on American clocks?

9. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Broken arch style case - typical for mid-Atlantic states heavy scrolls very typical PA case from 19th century.

PA had large German population.

Do you have any movement photographs?

Andy

10. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A nice painted dial longcase clock in a swan neck case. Perhaps there's a name on the back of the dial that might help.