Tag Sale

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Richard Haliburton, Apr 16, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. I was at a tag sale in Scranton, Pennsylvania on Saturday and bought a lot of interesting things. The one that might be of interest here is a box of
    clock related material from a Stephen Engle. I had never heard of him before but I see the museum has the clock that is described in this material.
    I can't tell if everything is the original or a copy. It does look pretty old.The one book appears to be shopnotes. There are drawings of gear placements and sizes. Dimensions of the case. It looks like the case was a collection of pieces instead of one solid clock case.
    Another folder contains handouts that I guess were given or posted when he toured with this clock.
    Another book lists how much money was taken in at each stop on the tour. I thought it was pretty interesting. What do you think this stuff is worth, if anything. Is it common? Were copies made?
    Thanks,
    Rich

2. Well judging by the comments(none) I guess that lucky find was just a bunch of common stuff. Shows how much I have to learn about collecting!
    I better start studying more of the info on this board before I spend any real money on something!
    I have to admit I am somewhat embarrassed. It's going in the trash.
    I was reading some past posts and saw one guy found a copy of the declaration of independence. Was that a copy too?
    Rich

Won't be for long if I keep making bad buys!

3. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, not common. How to judge uless we see it. Sounds like the only group that SHOULD be interested in it is the NAWCC.

4. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    I believe the NAWCC museum would greatly appreciate donation of Haliburton's tag sale "find."

The material, if authenticated would likely renew some of the excitement when the Engle Clock was finally obtained.

The Engle clock was touted as the "Eighth Wonder of the World" and a treasured museum object by NAWCC.

Haliburton should, in good conscience contact the museum director.

5. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rich, the fact that you didn't get any responses doesn't mean what you have is worthless. There are not many folks who are at all familiar with the Engle clock and its history, so I'm not too surprised with the lack of responses. Also . . as Sam points out, since the NAWCC museum now owns that clock the stuff you bought could very well be of interest to them especially if there is any original material in it. I definitely recommend you NOT put it in the trash, but instead spend a few bucks more and mail it to the NAWCC Museum. They have a fair amount of ephemera there on the Engle clock but are always looking for more.

John Hubby

6. kirxklox

kirxklox Registered User
    Deceased

Dec 17, 2002
    Dardanell, AR
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For those of you that have not seen the Engle Clock, here is an image of an early postcard.

76.jpg

7. In the future I think I will visit the museum, get their opinion as to what they think. There was also a box of various postcards.

One flyer had an engraving of the clock from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper April 13, 1878 on the front page. It is a four sided pamphlet
    with a history and description of the clock by Capt. Reid,Manager and a section on Strasburg cathedral and Clock.

It states that in January 1878 the clock appeared in Reading, Pa. and
    an excellent article was published in the Reading Eagle. There were no copies of the Reading Eagle newspaper with the stuff I bought.
    There are numerous variations of this flyer so I am guessing it was
    maybe city specific?
    The exhibition hours were not long. 10 - 12 am and 2-5 and 7-10pm
    From the pamphlet:

A descriptive lecture given by Mrs. Capt. Reid from 3-5 and 7-9pm a
    gentleman officiating in the same capacity during the remaining time.

Was that the common address of the day Mrs. Capt. Reid? Reminds me of some fat whale who wanted to jump in line at the Naval Hospital in Portsmouth,Va. Don't you know who I am? I am Mrs. Vice Admiral *****!
    I would assume in modern times it is an interjection!

One thing though, admission to see the clock turns out to be a real
    inflation buster! It is now cheaper to see the clock than during it's grand tour! Since it is at the NAWCC Museum, members and participating museum members may view it for free!

Thank you for the information.
    Rich

8. Tom Kloss

Tom Kloss Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Male
    Retired from one job, started another.
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the Engles clock was built by a man from Hazelton, Pennsylvania which is about 25 miles from Scranton. I'm sure the musieum would be interested in the Engiles ephemera

Tom

“Sometimes you really don’t know if your being rewarded or punished”