T (homas) E. Suggs & Co, South Carolina, 30 hr clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by jboger, Jun 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I first mentioned this clock in a different--someone else's--thread, but thought I'd give this clock its own post. Someone had asked for a picture of the clock paper, and here it is. Note that the location is Waterberry, not Waterbury.

Here are a few questions that I hope the experienced wood works people might answer. The clock is running fine with a good strong tick although I have not let the clock go the full 30 hours yet, so we'll see. A 3x5 card dated 1974 came with the clock on which are written notes from a repair person. I believe that was when the clock was last looked at. Graphite has been used as a lubricant. It's distributed over the teeth and in the pivots.

The use of graphite--is that a no-no? Should it also be in the pivot holes? These are not bushed; just the wood. Seems to me that the presence of graphite in the pivot holes might lead to excessive wear. I do not plan to run the clock, but if it shouldn't be there, then I want to remove it. Any advice?

I plan to re-attach the clock paper to the backboard. Someone has recommended an acid-free paste that paper conservators use. I will use that. I've noted that there are de-acidifier sprays available to conservators that can be used to treat the paper. Won't remove the brittleness of the paper but will remove the acid content of the paper--or so it's claimed. Has anyone successfully used this sort of product or would he or she recommend something else to de-acidify the paper. Something else might include "do nothing" as the first option.

DSCF2369.jpg

2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Jim DuBois, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    I believe your paper label is made of rag paper, not wood fiber. Wood fiber and the acid used in its processing came first about in about 1844, and your clock most likely predates that. And rag paper does not use acid so any concern about de-acidification of your label is misplaced. Graphite is held in almost the same regard in wood works as is WD-40 when used on brass works. Not recommended and should be avoided.

Peter A. Nunes likes this.
  3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    You mean label, right?

4. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    corrected! Thank you.

5. jboger

jboger Registered User

Jan 7, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, aware of rag versus wood paper. But the paper has browned and is somewhat brittle, certainly not like newsprint. I could imagine rag paper being of variable composition. Can we automatically assume that paper prior to a certain date is acid-free? Contact with the wood it's pasted to may have affected the aging of the paper as well. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.