• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Syncing strike train - is there a trick?

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
In reassembling the strike train on this Urgos movement, it appears that four things must happen simultaneously. While 1) the gathering pallet cam is locked, 2) the warning pin must be about 180 deg away from the warning locked position, 3) the star wheel must not engage any strike levers, and 4) the star wheel must be in such a position that when the strike starts, the correct hammer (the single one, I think) must strike before the double hammer.

It would be great if any of the gathering pallet cam, warning wheel, or star wheel would be on a clutch, but in mine they are all fixed. As shown in the pictures, with the gathering pallet cam locked the warning pin is in the proper position, but the star wheel engages one of the hammers slightly. This causes the strike train to lock up when starting up (wasn't able to get a good picture of the star wheel).

When I open the movement to adjust these wheels I don't seem to be able to get it correct. Is this just a trial-and-error thing, or is there some trick? And due to my inexperience, half the time I try to disengage just the wheels I'm working on, I lose a bunch more and am back to square one.

20221117_203635.jpg 20221117_203640.jpg 20221117_203646.jpg 20221117_203936.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your check sheet is good ... it takes a while sometimes. The rotation after warming can be as short as 90°. On some clocks 180° can cause problems.
Willie X

wisty

Dec 24, 2014
Country
I use a sharpie pen. While assembled mark the wheels that are right. Mark the ideal position of those that are wrong. Disassemble, resemble using the marks

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
Two good suggestions from Willie X and wisty. I'll aim for less than 180 deg for the warning pin, but no less than 90 deg. And I'll mark the wheels that are in the correct position and try to keep them that way.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
On this type, the gathering pallet (the kidney shaped brass piece with the pin) is pressed on the arbor. All you should need to do is slightly rotate the gathering pallet piece just a bit until the train locks earlier - before the star arms contact the strike lever. You may need to use a puller to remove it or loosen it if it hasn't been off recently. Also as Willie said, keep the warning run short.

Reactions: Mike Mall and wow

Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2019
Williamsburg, Virginia
Country
Region
Thanks, but I previously tried rotating the gathering pallet cam but it wouldn't budge, and I was afraid of snapping the thin arbor it was attached to.

For the moment, to be safe, I'll just keep trying to get all the gears aligned by installing them in the proper relation. I imagine I'll get it eventually (and get lots of practice putting movements back together!).

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
The gathering pallet, whether on a round arbor or square arbor, will come off. A puller is safer. No bent arbor. As RC said, that is the easiest way to adjust the strike sequence. If the arbor is square, just turn 1/4 turn until it is right.

Mike Mall

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2021
Country
Thanks, but I previously tried rotating the gathering pallet cam but it wouldn't budge, and I was afraid of snapping the thin arbor it was attached to.

For the moment, to be safe, I'll just keep trying to get all the gears aligned by installing them in the proper relation. I imagine I'll get it eventually (and get lots of practice putting movements back together!).
As RC recommends use a puller on the gathering pallet if it's too tight.
You can then rotate the star into the proper position when the pin is up as you've shown. With the hammers installed that's easy to find.
Then put the gathering pallet back on, against the rack lever.
Willie has (in the past) shown a very nice tool he made to tap it into place.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
The gathering pallet, whether on a round arbor or square arbor, will come off. A puller is safer. No bent arbor. As RC said, that is the easiest way to adjust the strike sequence. If the arbor is square, just turn 1/4 turn until it is right.
I believe this one is round. Two paint can lid removers, one under each side of the gathering pallet assembly, then pry it up evenly if no puller is available.

Reactions: wow

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
As well, heat up the GP as it'll come off easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo Joyce
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent