Help Syncing hands & chimes in new mechanism.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Ronald Zellner, Jul 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ronald Zellner

Ronald Zellner Registered User

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I'm a tinkerer, not a clock expert, background in aerospace & technology. I just installed a new-old-stock Urgos UW32/1A mechanism in my 45 year old grandfather clock. It seems to be running fine so far, but I can't get the chimes to play at the right time. Rather than trial & error tweaking, I thought I'd go to the experts first.

I started the clock and waited until it chimed the hour; it chimed 3:00. Then I stopped it and set the hands for 3:00 by installing the hour hand on the 3. I put the minute hand in place and then moved it forward to the 12:00 position. So I could check the time accuracy I waited for 3:00, and then started it swinging again. The problem is that it chimes with the minute hand on 56, rather than when the hands are on the hour. The quarter hour is at 11 minutes, etc., always four minutes early. I'm looking for advice and/or insights. It is probably simple, once the function is understood.

Also, I've always heard that you shouldn't move clock hands backwards, only forward. Is that correct?

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There should be a brass collet in the center of the minute hand. It should be snug but movable. Insert the square tang of a file and turn the collet until the hand points correctly. Always safe to turn hands forward and wait for chiming. Most newer clocks can be turned backward. Follower the maker's instructions.

RC

3. Ronald Zellner

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a brass nut attached to the back of the hand. Seems similar to what you are referring to. I tried adjusting it with a small socket wrench but it really doesn't want to move. It is a press-fit into the hand, and the nut shape suggests it is made to be turned, but I was afraid to force it.

Back
    Minute Hand.JPG
    Front
    Front  of Minute Hand.jpg

4. Altashot

Altashot Registered User

Oct 12, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Force it, it will turn. They are made to move. Hold it in such a way that you won't bend the hand though. Sometimes they need to be “cracked” once to loosen up a little.
    A socket in this case will work or follow the advice given by R.Croswell. Not all of them have the hex shape, some are round, that’s where the file tang comes handy.

It may take a few tries to get it just right, but you’ll get it. With your background, I have no doubt.

Let us know how it went.

M.

5. Ronald Zellner

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It went well. I just needed the assurance that it was OK to force it, I didn't have a spare. Used the socket. Once it was loose it was just as easy as you said to adjust it. Now on to adjusting the pendulum for accurate time. Thanks.

6. Ronald Zellner

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Is there a way of adjusting the tempo other than changing the pendulum length? This one seems to run slow, even with pendulum adjustments.

7. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good morning, Ronald!

How slow is it running? You did say you installed a replacement movement. What is the length of the pendulum supposed to be?

Best regards!

Tim Orr

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it's only a little slow, you can add a little weight above the balance point of the pendulum. But there may be other options. Lets see some pics of what you have.

9. Ronald Zellner

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It lost 7 minutes in about 18 hours. It is the original cabinet and pendulum, with new-old-stock mechanism replacement. Same mounting location.

Pendulum.JPG

10. Tim Orr

Tim Orr National Membership Chair
    Director NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Male
    95% retired from the ad business.
    Boulder CO
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good afternoon, Ronald!

Your photo makes it look like the bob is at about the bottom of its range of adjustment. You could try pushing it up a couple of turns with the rating nut and see how it responds.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

11. Ronald Zellner

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, I had initially turned the adjuster nut several turns with no observable results so I jumped the gun and asked about alternate methods that I might not be aware of. This morning I turned the adjuster nut many more rotations and I am in the acceptable range, may just need a little tweaking after it runs a while. Thanks.

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    About one full turn per minute per day should do it.

13. Ronald Zellner

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Sometimes it plays the musical hour chimes, but doesn't play the number chimes. If I flick the fly wheel it will spin & then play them. Not sure how often it does it. Should all three weights descend at the same rate? The one on the left does not travel as far down as the the middle & right weights.

14. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    All three should be fairly even. When you say "number chimes" I interpret that as meaning # of strikes, that should be the left weight. Were the weights put back on at the same positions? The weights may be marked on the bottom.

15. Ronald Zellner

Jul 24, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Yes, the number of strikes to match the hour. I marked the weights when I took out the old mechanism, and put them back in the same locations. Looking at the clock, weight on my left is 4.4 pounds, middle is 4.4, and right is 5.6

16. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The position of the weights seems correct. Perhaps all that's needed is to apply some oil to the pivots. I use synthetic 0-20. Just the smallest amount of oil enough to moisten the bearing.

17. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You may have an issue in the movement. As time goes on, wear happens. Eventually it gets bad enough to hose things up.

18. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder if "new old stock" could mean a "new" movement that was previously installed and found to have this problem and returned to the dealer/supplier? Wear shouldn't be a problem with a new movement but something isn't quite what it should be.

RC