Synchronome master frame #428 or not?

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by markiemark, Jun 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. markiemark

markiemark Registered User

Nov 21, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I'm an amateur but from what I have researched this is probably a Synchronome frame but it's pretty much impossible to say that for sure. There is a number on the back 428 but from what I have read the Synchronome factory clocks came with a NRA adjuster, which this one doesn't have, and that they had their serials numbers printed on that adjuster. Did they also have numbers stamped into the back of their frames?

thumbnail_IMG_1024.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1025.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1026.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1027.jpg

2. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    That is definitely a Mk I Synchronome backplate and movement. It is odd that there are no holes for the mounting of the NRA plate. My best guess is that this clock was supplied as a kit for home assembly and although they were supoplied with an NRA plate, the assembler decided not to fit it for some reason. NRA plates supplied with kits bore no serial number.

I have never had cause to remove the back plate from my Synchronome, but commercial castings often bore batch or pattern numbers.

3. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    A couple of other features of this movement are unusual to me. The locating pins of the cock for the count wheel and latch arbours are staggered diagonally whilst all other movements I have seen are arranged vertically above and below the fixing screw. There is no oil sink on the roller hole and the latch, although of the final design shape, lacks the advance lever. (Although not needed assuming the clock was never fitted with an advance/retard mechanism).

4. gmitche4

gmitche4 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Male
    Country Flag:
    This would be an Australian made Synchronome made in Brisbane by the Jackson Family. The movements typically didn't have NRA system. I'll get some more information on this model for you,
    Graham
    Sydney

Sychronome 1.jpeg Sychronome 2.jpeg

bruce linde, Snapper and markiemark like this.