Synchronome Clock

Bud R

New User
Jul 27, 2021
Country
I have a synchronome clock that has operated well for about 10 or 12 years. Recently it occasionally stops. The voltage is good from batteries measuring 4.2v. I have lubricated pivots with light clock oil but it continues to stop. Could you please suggest reason for stopping and how to correct it.

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Hi Bud R,
Have you checked the contacts for cleanliness? I’m presuming it’s a master and not a slave?
Cheers,
James

John UK

Mar 25, 2006
If they stop with the gravity arm 'down' - it is usually an electrical issue (including contacts). Check current is approx 300 - 330 mA with the contacts closed.

If they stop with the gravity arm up - it is usually a friction and/or cleanliness issue.
  1. Check that the gathering jewel just 'brushes' the countwheel round. The jewel should only just engage enough to pull it to the next tooth such that the backstop roller drops. If it is set too low, there is wasted frictional loss.
  2. The roller should be just (and only just) clear of the horizontal part of the pallet, and when it drops - drop just onto the corner of the slope (i.e. not run along the flat part).
  3. Clean and very sparingly oil (light clock oil) the countwheel pivots, roller pivots.
  4. The countwheel teeth should be very clean and dry (no oil).
  5. The pallet slope and roller surface should be very clean and dry (no oil).
Usually, one (or more) of the above requires attention. If your clock has been running for 10 years OK, it is very probably either dirty countwheel teeth, or roller/pallet slop dirty. It would also pay after that time to clean out the various bearings (with a bit of pegwood and the pivot surfaces) and re oil very sparingly with light clock oil. Adding fresh oil to a dirty bearing isn't really a good idea. It makes a nasty paste with the dirt that isn't good.

Reactions: Jmeechie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallmawfuedu
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-