Sylvester Root wood movement bevel case clock- are there other examples out there?

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Peter A. Nunes, Aug 15, 2010.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Attached are pictures of a clock I recently purchased... it is one of about 6 known examples by the maker Sylvester Root, of Bristol, Connecticut. I am researching Mr. Root and his clocks, and I would like to know of other examples out there in the clock world, of which I'm sure there are some. Sylvester was working circa 1842-1846, when he declared bankruptcy. This was at the very end of the wood movement era. He apparently had some association with Ephraim Downs, according to tax records and other sources- he is recorded as having made clocks in the Downs factory, on Downs St. in Bristol. The movement in my example was designated # 8.224 on Snowden Taylor's list, now updated to #10.224. At least one of Sylvester's movements has very crude and rough plates, replete with knots, curvy grain, etc., not the typical carefully chosen quarter-sawn oak generally used in these movements. The case of this clock measures 27" H. x 16.75" wide.

I was first attracted to this clock by the incredibly folky tablet, which looks like it was done by a not-so-well-trained fourth grader. The colors are vivid as can be, and I've always liked blue jays. It is cracked, but original to the clock and otherwise undisturbed and in good condition.

If you know of any other examples of clocks by Sylvester Root, I would appreciate hearing about them.

Peter Nunes
    NAWCC 25131
    401-789-6791
    peter.nunes@verizon.net

Attached Files:

2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Sylvester Root wood movement bevel case clock- are there other examples out there

Nice clock Peter.I like the tablet as well.
    Looks to be in good shape as well.
    Is this a 30 hour or 8 day clock?

3. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Re: Sylvester Root wood movement bevel case clock- are there other examples out there

It is a typical 30 hour Connecticut movement, by an atypical maker. An eight day movement with conventional plates like this would incorporate an additional wheel and arbor (see Supplement # 19, "Eight Day Wood Movement Shelf Clocks, Their Movements, Their Makers", by Bryan Rogers and Snowden Taylor... an indispensable part of any horological library, at least if you relish American clocks.)

4. Curtis Jackson

Curtis Jackson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Apprentice Watchmaker
    Columbia, Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Love that case.

5. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Yes... while I am no big fan of ogees in general, I like those that are a bit unusual, and I also like these bevel cases. I think if I were a beginning collector (unfortunately, I've been at this since 1971) I might collect ogees and bevel case clocks, with an eye toward those with original tablets, both painted, stenciled, and even the later transfers, some of which are very nice. I think these represent true bargains for the beginning collector, as they are the real thing, are practical to run if one is so inclined, and are cheap as can be. The Atkins & Porter that was posted a few days ago is a good example... a clock that is more or less original, with intact glasses, good dial, a possibly interesting movement variation, etc., for $35.00. Remarkable.

6. Curtis Jackson

Curtis Jackson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Apprentice Watchmaker
    Columbia, Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

They really are the first bargain and can continue to be so. I have four and don't plan on stopping there, for some reason I am drawn to them.

A bevel is quite a prize! For me, I need to get an eight-day or five before I start looking for the truly unique cases.