Swiss verge bracket clock 18th c.

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Chris Radano, Mar 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Swiss pendulum clocks are under represented here. At least I believe this is a Swiss clock. I tried to take some photos to show how the clock is constructed.

This clock case was refinished / restored. The case is solid wood. The top, and bracket, are solid logs. The bottom ball finial is missing from the bracket, it would be the same size as the top ball finial. Essentially this is the same clock as one of those cartel clocks, only this clock is more modest. The wood is fruit wood, probably apple or cherry. There is an interesting front door latch, shaped like a human hand clenching a rod. The dial is 9.5" in diameter. The bottom of the dial is flat, and fits into a slot. the top of the dial is held in place by a large screw. The movement is pinned onto 3 dial feet. The hour hand tip looks like it was replaced by a late 19th. hand that I've seen on Junghans clocks. It's OK, but the length is too long, and to me is a little confusing to tell time.

The movement strikes the hours and halves on a bell mounted on top of the case. It is a really nice movement. When I received the clock, the springs were not fully wound, but the clock ran down for 6 days, without the pendulum. I think the movement, when clean, would run 14 days. The striking works as it should.

Does anyone know in what region this clock was made?

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

2. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Here are some more photos of the movement.

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Amazing that the case could be so old, does the pendulum bob not line up with the window?

The minute hand is interesting, is it a replacement? It looks like the sort of thing you got here in the latter part of the 18th century but with additional decorative bits before the serpentine bit.

4. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    You're confused too by the replaced hour hand tip. The pendulum is visible in the lenticle window. It swings wildly with the verge escapement, as it appears to dart back and forth through the window.

5. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015

I bet it does. Looks relatively long for a verge pendulum but I suppose I'm used to looking at taller movements.

6. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    The pendulum is 12" total in length. It is a massive clock, comparable to my oak Victorian triple fusee.

7. Ralph

Ralph Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 22, 2002
    Chris, you always come up with interesting clocks.

Ralph

8. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Thanks Ralph. That's high praise coming from you. We look for them. I'm very grateful for any good fortune.

9. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    I agree, it's really an interesting clock! I wonder if most or all of the hour hand is replaced. The outermost solder mark looks as though it is reattaching part of the same hand. Perhaps all that's left of the original is the boss, which seems to be attached with another solder joint to the center length of the hand.

I think I see a join line in both the base and the top when viewed from the back, and also in the first photo from the front the horizontal line is clearly visible in the base.

10. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't know how much of the hour hand is replaced. I would think the collet is original. But there is a tail, and the small ornamental piece on the other side of the collet, I don't know what the original hand would have looked like. In the past, I would want to change something like that hour hand to look more authentic, but now I think I'll leave it.

I didn't notice the joints in the top and base until I viewed my own photos. Probably saved the wood from warping or shrinking too much. Those old cabinet makers were smart.

11. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    This is such a nice clock I would think about having an hour hand custom designed and fabricated. Of course, that's easy for me to say. By studying Swiss cartel and bracket clocks, you could probably come up with an appropriate design. At the very least I would shorten the existing hand by removing some of the middle section so that it is of the correct length.

12. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Thanks for the compliments regarding the clock. Perhaps some day the hour hand situation will be improved. Probably have a bottom ball finial made, too. I have been somewhat infatuated with this clock.