Swiss silver pocket watch

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Hi, Brought in local auction today,can't quite make out the middle letter of the engraved monogram on the rear, it is hall marked 935 with the three bears, this movement wound up and running very well.
The question I have is it a lever movement, I do have problems as a new by in telling the difference unless it's a fusee.I quite like the nice look of the balance cock and regulater,but what is the smaller cock for.Richard.PS has this particular style have a name and how do you date these watches.

Attachments

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I think you have four initials in the monogram. I think I can see B D F B.

JTD

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Richard,

This is a Swiss lever, with the balance, lever and escape arbors all in a straight line. The escape wheel is under that smaller cock, and has club teeth, as distinct from an English lever. The escape wheels on the latter have pointed teeth, and the three arbors form a right angle with the lever at the angle. This movement style is known as a 3/4 plate, from the cutout in the top plate for the balance and escape cocks, which enable the movement to be made thinner than a full plate. The style was popular in this country, and the Swiss capitalised on this with their designs.

Because there isn't an equivalent of the English date letter in the Swiss system, dating these watches is at best only going to give you a range of dates. The three bears were part of the Swiss hallmarking system between 1880 and 1933, and I'd say that this watch is around the 1880-90 range.

By the way, a fusee could have a verge, cylinder, lever, duplex or detent escapement.

Regards,

Graham

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Hi Graham.
Thank you very much again for explaining the details so well.
Have you any idea how I can adjust the regulater on the Hebdomas watch I have posted.Also to remove the front crystal cover? There isn't any useful technical details that I have uncovered yet.Thanks again,Richard.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
You have got it.JTD thank you.Richard.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
You're welcome. Another elegant watch that you have.

JTD

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Wound this watch at 5pm Saturday it run until 1.15 pm Monday 43hrs this must be very good.very pleased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller