• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Swiss Patent Lever Watches

MikeB

Apr 12, 2001
Hi -

I have been coming across several Swiss Patent Lever pocket watches from the later half of the 1800's. I don't usually collect these, so my knowledge here is limited. What, exactly, does "patent lever" refer to?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Bricker

MikeB

Apr 12, 2001
Hi -

I have been coming across several Swiss Patent Lever pocket watches from the later half of the 1800's. I don't usually collect these, so my knowledge here is limited. What, exactly, does "patent lever" refer to?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Bricker

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Don't know for sure but my educated guess is that the lever has a shape that was patented. This sort of thing was easy to do and fairly common. ABout 1850 or so the general public began to stronly prefer lever to cylinder escapement and patend laver was a way to emphasize that the watch is a lever type.

Dr. Jon

B

bil2054

Mike, I think you may find this essay of interest:
Watch inventions

You need to scroll, (or read), down a bit to find the pertinent passage.
It's too bad they don't have an image of the English lever for comparison. I believe this is the crux of the "Swiss patent lever" importance; that the Swiss lever lies in a line perpendicular to the axis of the escape wheel, and is most like the familiar configuration seen today. The English lever conversely lies alongside the escape wheel, contacting it tangentially.

Edited to add:
English lever illus.

Bill Miller
NAWCC Member #157710

Greg Crockett

Apr 13, 2001
While the above is excellent info, I have observed the words, "patent lever" on all manner of late 18th Century Swiss watches, esp. cheap ones. Most have the same lever escapement as the next one. Unless the watch is obviously of high quality, I generally dismiss the engraving as puffery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent