SWISS MOVEMENT ETA 2824-2

W

W. Pat

What can anyone tell me about this movement as far as quality or your overall impressions of it? I got to looking at some of the Poljot watches available after they were recommened to me and discovered their higher end models use this movement. It is the identical movement to the Wenger Swiss Army model I recently purchased which is gaining about a minute ever 24 hours. I am just attemping to find out if this movement has a good or a bad track record. Either way it looks like mine needs to go to the shop! :frown:

W

W. Pat

What can anyone tell me about this movement as far as quality or your overall impressions of it? I got to looking at some of the Poljot watches available after they were recommened to me and discovered their higher end models use this movement. It is the identical movement to the Wenger Swiss Army model I recently purchased which is gaining about a minute ever 24 hours. I am just attemping to find out if this movement has a good or a bad track record. Either way it looks like mine needs to go to the shop! :frown:

J

J.Rogers

A Lot of houses use this movement
2824-2

Some modify them some engrave rotors etc etc. I have a few pieces with the movement have always kept good time.
In fact you can buy a new ETA 2824-2 (GP25) for about $78.00 if you needed a replacement

Jerry Freedman

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2000
Country
Region
I have this movement in an Oris big crown model. For me, it has been a superior timekeeper. In over 5 years, never a problem.

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
Two day ago I had an Oris triple chrono / calendar automatic which was, hands down, the best timekeeper I've ever owned. It
was probably ca. 1990 and and had the Valjoux
7750 mvt..It gave a perfect record on my timing machine in any position!!! I've never seen that before ever.
I mention this as endorsement for Oris and for this kind of discussion about the calibers that are winners.
-Cort

W

W. Pat

Thanks for the replies! I saw my repairman and he suggested hand winding the movement tight and wearing it for a while .... which he did. I checked the watch about 15 minutes later and it was stopped cold so apparently he over wound it. Anyway I took it back to him today and told him to keep it several days after he got it going again to see what it ran like for him. Hopefully I will get it going shortly ......... :rolleyes:

J

J.Rogers

There is no such thing as over winding a watch.
I would have the watch cleaned an make sure all the parts function as designed.

Example. I bought a nice Cyma from a gentleman. Watch ran about 10 seconds and stopped. I am not a watch maker so I sent it out to a watchmaker to look at. It was missing a part and who ever cleaned it last probably used 10-50 Mobil one. The watch was so gummed up it wouldn't run.
other than that it ran just fine.

danM

Mar 17, 2004
This is an automatic movement - it can not be "overwound" as the mainspring simply slips when fully wound, either by hand or when worn - that is the principle of autos. !

You should be able to just keep on hand winding, and the winder will never stop going round.

dan

W

W. Pat

I got my watch back from being repaired about two weeks ago. It had a cracked jewel and the repairman replaced the whole balance assembly. It now runs with any quartz I own so at least I found out a automatic can run with a quartz! This watch was new in the box when I purchased on eBay and apprently had made it out of the factory like this. I guess i should have gone the warranty route but decided to get it repaired locally instead of returning to a service center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
art&clocks
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller