Swiss Maker - Fritz Moer

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by geoff001, Jun 29, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. geoff001

geoff001 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Retired
    Durham, UK.
    Country Flag:
    I have a 14 size(?) Montgomery Ward pocket watch and the movement is signed Fritz Moer Ltd Switzerland.

Does anyone have any info on this Swiss maker?

Thanks

Geoff

2. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found no reference to this name in Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975 which has almost all of them. The name is most likely a Montgomery Ward invention. Swiss corporations never are "Ltd" which means "Limited Liability" and is the British equivalent of "Inc". Also, most Swiss companies that sign their work include the town or city.

I did find a lot of material on Fritz Moeri which seems to have been a fairly large operation in St Imier, the same region as Longines.

Perhaps we could give you more information if you post some pictures.

3. geoff001

geoff001 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Retired
    Durham, UK.
    Country Flag:
    Dr Jon

My error - it is Fritz Moeri Ltd as per attached picture

Geoff H

Attached Files:

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The picture helps.

The LtD is unusual but the rest fits. In the book I mentioned they are listed as Moeri S A , which is more typical.

You have a 7 jewel watch movement. This is the minimum jeweling for a good watch. The balance wheel is a cut, that is the rim is cut away from the cross piece which allows the balance to correct for temperature change. Many very cheap Swiss wathesetihter had no cut or jsut a notch there.

14 size watches are sometimes called "Boy's watches" and at 7 jewels this is an inexpensive watch so it may have been marketed thus.

My experience is that a 7 jewel watch will run reasonable well but it it has been in use fo a long time, about 20+ years teh bears will be worn out and need serious work.

The Moeris name was used from about 1910 to 1973 when Tissot took them over. My guess is that yours is 1910 vintage but it could be as late is the 1930's.

5. geoff001

geoff001 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Retired
    Durham, UK.
    Country Flag:
    Many thanks for the information

Geoff