Swiss Girard/Wadsworth

Shimmer

May 12, 2022
Country
Anyone with knowledge? Best pictures I could capture attached. Screenshot 2022-05-12 09-16-26.png Screenshot 2022-05-12 08-37-37.png Screenshot 2022-05-12 09-15-04.png Screenshot 2022-05-12 09-21-55.png Screenshot 2022-05-12 09-22-50.png

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

You don't say what information you are looking for, but here is a little to be going on with.

The Wadsworth logo on your case is that of the Wadsworth Watch Case Co.of Dayton (KY). The company was formed (I think) in the 1890s and continued until the 1950s. This logo was registered in 1916 (per Mikrolisk).

As for the movement, the name Girard was used by a number of companies and it will need someone more versed in Swiss watch movements than I to tell you more about it. But I am sure someone will be along soon.

JTD

Shimmer

May 12, 2022
Country
Thanks JTD. I am looking to find out any info that I can. I appreciate your help.

Shimmer

May 12, 2022
Country
My phone will probably get better pictures. I will post more as soon as I can. Thank you!

Shimmer

May 12, 2022
Country
Here are some with the dial off. Quality is not good but the best I can do with what I have atm. 20220512_165226.jpg 20220512_165449.jpg

Shimmer

May 12, 2022
Country
I believe that I found the movement on ebay. (Schild 9.75) I guess anyone could buy it and put their name on it. Should I just assume its not valuable and figure it's value by its gold weight?

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
If the watch still goes, I see no reason to scrap it to take the gold.
Remarks
bimetallic screw balance (in economical models not cut)
various bridge layouts, example 3-4 probably exclusively for Gallet
This movement demonstrates impressively that a smart design needs no setting-lever spring. Strange that the successor AS 574 got this absurd and often breaking part.

Example, year: signature; shock device
1-2) ca. 1920: - 716, AS
3-4) ca. 1925: Gallet & Co, Swiss, 15Jewels, Unadjusted - 32

•edited to fix a smelling pistake in my copy paste from Dr Ranfft's site. There was a p missing from impressively.

Last edited:

Shimmer

May 12, 2022
Country
I doubt this one is worth saving. On to the next project I think. I have an Omega here that I have been having trouble with. I need a case tube, female stem and a crown, and I have been told that Omega is now owned by swatch and they shut down The Omega parts distribution.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
... I have been told that Omega is now owned by swatch and they shut down The Omega parts distribution.
This is certainly not surprising. Many refer to a number of Swiss watch companies as being part of a cartel. There is an ongoing battle for independent watchmakers trying to get factory parts to fix watches. You are fortunate that you can likely find generic parts for what you need that will do the job nicely. Good luck.

Shimmer

May 12, 2022
Country
Update. I have looked around some more. I am thinking this is probably a Gallet watch with a replacement movement installed. 1902-1920 who knows. Those watch families were like a soap opera.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
My guess is that the movement is original to the case. Now if the case was marked "Gallet" I'd think differently. I think it's the AS 716 that roughbarked linked to that was used by Girard.

BTW, does the watch have a broken staff? I'm just wondering what it would take to fix it. I don't believe you have mentioned the issue with the movement. Just curious, as it would be a shame to melt such a nice case. Cheers.

Shimmer

May 12, 2022
Country
My guess is that the movement is original to the case. Now if the case was marked "Gallet" I'd think differently. I think it's the AS 716 that roughbarked linked to that was used by Girard.

BTW, does the watch have a broken staff? I'm just wondering what it would take to fix it. I don't believe you have mentioned the issue with the movement. Just curious, as it would be a shame to melt such a nice case. Cheers.
Balance is fine I think it was overwound and has a broken $10 mainspring is all. I would expect a more ornate movement in a solid gold watch. The one in it is generic looking. I did already confirm that it is an AS 9.75 but it is rough cut generic version. Gallet does have a history of using Wadsworth 14k cases and not marking the dial or the case. The only place you would see a Gallet mark would be on the movement...I will not refine the case. I will keep it all intact. Pinning down exactly what it is historically 100% is probably impossible I think.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
I think you've done a good job of getting to the bottom of it. But I will tell you that it's not uncommon at all to find a generic, sometimes even 7-jewel movements, in solid gold cases. This seems to be especially true in ladies watches. That said, if yours is indeed a 9 3/4 ligne movement, it could go either way, so to speak. It would be a larger ladies' watch or smaller men's watch of the time.

If the balance is fine, you should be in good shape. Replacing the mainspring is simple for any decent watchmaker. And if the old one is still in the barrel, all they need to do is measure it. I apologize if you already know this stuff. Good luck.

mosesgodfrey

NAWCC Member
Aug 30, 2017
Country
Region
It is a ladies model, by the dial, and the dial is one of the nicest Girards I’ve seen. The movement & case are original, as you’ll see gold center of the dial is engraved & toned to match. Lots of Girards used stock 14k Wadsworth cases. The Wadsworth case number (solid karat is different number line vs filled) dates to late 1910s. The movement stamps show it was imported between 1913-1922, cased in US. All fitting together. And as mentioned 15j was the norm for the mid/+ grades, incl most men’s wrist watches.

I cannot see if those hour dots are luminous—have a care if so. Some also had diamond dots.

This caliber is relatively easy and cheap to restore. Myriad donors may be readily found under the SADA brand; Girards use many of the same stock movements. Sada factory K used this movement almost exclusively.

When new, the basic dial counterpart in 14k retailed for about $25 less than an entry 14k gold pocket watch. The value today is very near the case value, which is above scrap value (I’d estimate it at actual gold value + $25-50). Girard is an unknown import brand, so the case + crystal itself may be worth as much as the complete unit.

Reactions: MrRoundel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kipt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-