Swiss, but what else?

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Ralph Porter, May 16, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ralph Porter

Ralph Porter Registered User

Nov 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This swiss watch is marked 'Chronometre Election' on the dial and cuvette, and also '16 rubis'. We've not yet been able to open the cuvette to look at the movement. The inside back of the case is marked '.900' which I assume is the silver content, as well as 'Election' and the lower case 'e' like seen on the cuvette. I assume Election is the brand name.

Any information out there on this brand? Any guesses what we'll find when we get to the movement?

Thanks, Ralph

Attached Files:

2. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ralph,

According to Kathleen Pritchard in her master work Swiss Timepiece Makers 1775-1975, small e and the word election were the trade marks of Election SA, from La Chaux Fonds Switzerland and Les Geneveys sur Coffrane. The company was founded in 1850 as A. Braunschweig followed by L. braunschweig and Les Fils De L.Braunschweig etc.

The name was changed to Nouvelle Fabrique Election SA in 1932. They had a wide range of products and did win several awards for quality including a grand prize in the Berne Exhibition of 1914 noted on the curvette.

Mike

3. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ......and the .900 does indicate silver (900/1000 parts) and do share a photo of the movement as I would have expected 15 or 17 jewels and wonder if it has a detent escapement given it is described as a chronometre.

Mike

4. Ralph Porter

Ralph Porter Registered User

Nov 8, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Mike,
    I appreciate the info and I'll for sure post a pic as soon as we can. I'm getting with another watch enthusiast on Saturday to try opening the cuvette without scarring. It's a typical hinge & snap down type but so tight that one might think it was soldered.

Thanks,
    Ralph

5. pwrudy

pwrudy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 7, 2002
    Priest, Teacher
    Duisburg, Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dear Mike,
    sorry to intervene here, but I am betting my A. Lange & Söhne watch that this is a (club tooth) lever escapement, a swiss bar or half plate movement of the later (1920s) type with the upper center wheel pivot jeweled (thus 16j).
    To denote their quality, the swiss liked to print 'Chronomètre' on their dials or cuvettes and I am not sure that those watches actually were taken to serious Chronometer tests (perhaps someone else can clarify this point).
    Best regards,
    Rudolf

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is an Election deck watch from my collection.
    46.jpg
    47.jpg
    It has two interesting features.
    1. It hacks by pulling the pin out of its resting place on the left and inserting it into the holder on the right.
    2. The up/down is a differential that moves the hand when winding the piece and then the dial under the hand turns as it is running down.
    Overall I think the quality is pretty good, but I doubt that they ever made a chronometer escapement piece and even this piece was probably not chronometer rated.

7. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rudolf and Tom,

You are both probably right, and I did say "wonder" as in it would be nice if he opens it and finds a treasure ...but I agree not likely. Ralph - Any luck with the case? Tom - Can you help me out with my case question?

Mike

8. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mike, I don't see a case question.:???:

9. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Tom,

Your piece above looks like it has a quality movement and Pritchard notes that the company (an assembler and manufacturer) sold "precision lever watches".

Mike

10. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would not allow optimism as to what lies beneath the cuvette soar too high. I have an 18k Chronometre Election with a very similar cuvette. Beneath is a pretty ordinary Swiss lever movement.

Attached Files:

11. CZHACK

CZHACK Registered User

Apr 28, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ethan,

Nice Deco case! I agree the movement is not top quality but of better than ordinary quality in my opinion.

Mike