SWISS BUCO BAUMANN WOOD WEIGHT DRIVEN WALL CLOCK

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Shadowraith, Nov 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shadowraith

Shadowraith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Male
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, I recently ran across a Buco wood geared clock that appears to be okay except for the detail of the single hand that is missing. So far hunting on the web has provided nothing. Was hoping the someone may have a suggestion where I might be able to obtain the missing clock hand.

Thank you

VINTAGE BUCO 1880 WOOD WEIGHT DRIVEN WALL CLOCK.jpg

2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    interestingly You got the "Ignatz version" of these clocksd. Do You have the string and pearl for the escapement? I´m affraid You´ll have to make/carve the single hand yourselv ,spares for these clocks are not availiable.If You need a pic of what You need come back!
    Burkhard

3. Shadowraith

NAWCC Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Male
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes any help I can get on repairing this piece and get it up and running would be greatly appreciated. While I've played around with clocks for about 40 years this particular style is new to me.
    Richard your mention of carving the hand is doable. You mentioned a pearl??
    Anyway I can use all the help I can get.

Thank You John

4. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Burkhard Rasch, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Look on Youtube with "Ignatz" or "Flying pendulum clock" to get an idea of how they work.You need a small relative heavy pearl and a piecs of sewing thread to complete the pendulum arm.I´ll provide a pic of the single hand so You´ll see it´s doable even if You´ re not a born sculpturer.My clock actually follows the same concept but has 4 posts at which the thread wrapsclock-and counterclockwise.Don´t expect this clock to be a reasonable timekeeper,it is not,just fun to look at,a real novelty clock! HTH
    Burkhard

DSCN3446.JPG DSCN3452.JPG DSCN3448.JPG

5. Shadowraith

NAWCC Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Male
    New Jersey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you very much for your help. The novelty of the piece is what attracted me to it.

Again Thanks
    John

6. Herb W

Herb W New Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have the Buco 1880 version. Very similar. Does anyone know what the weights of the stones should be? I would like to get mine going again.
    Thanks,
    Herb

7. rjoh

rjoh New Member

Jan 4, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi. It's been a long time since you posted but if you still have this clock I have the hand for it. If you're no longer interested in the hand, I would be interested in the small gear that drives the larger one the hand is attached to.