Swiss 8-day pocket watch retialed by S Smith & Son, London.

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by PJQL, Aug 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PJQL

PJQL Registered User
    Donor

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi all,

Picked up this one recently, but would like to know a bit more about it. The retailer I believe was an established and well known supplier, and the comes up from time to time on pocket watch dials. The movement seems to be a decent 8-day affair, but not especially notable...just sort of 'functional' but substantial. I expected to see a patent number visible, as is quite common on Swiss 8-day movements, but there isn't one. Anyone any ideas?

Also, I am interested to identify the numbers/digits on the sub-dial. They're pretty faded, but thought someone may recognise them through previous experience, or have an idea what they may signify. Military perhaps?

For information, the watch operates really well, and has run accurately to within 2 mins over a full 8 days!

Thanks as always,

Piers

2. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Male
    North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    Some information 'here' and frequently on David Penney's web site archive.

3. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I have one of these in my possesion temporarily, in that it does belong to a friend. It was originally mounted as a car clock.
    Well not one of those exactly but of the ilk at least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Piers,

This looks very similar to a movement by Charles Hahn of Landeron.

Regards,

Graham

5. PJQL

PJQL Registered User
    Donor

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Roughbarked.....yes..very similar. Thanks for that input. The sub-dial marks look similar too....I wonder what they signify though?

Cheers Graham,

Did Hahn ever leave any identifiers I wonder...save for the full plate design?

Piers