Swingers revisited.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by amzgraz, Jun 28, 2020 at 8:23 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. amzgraz

amzgraz Registered User

Feb 19, 2018
    Male
    Rancho Cucamonga, California
    Country Flag:
    Generally speeking, After a cleaning and reassembly if everything is done correctly with power to the time train, I expect to see the EW operating quite rapidly (without the pendulum of course). Of course adding the pendulum alters the action to one of precision.
    1.) Can I expect a swinger with pin pallets to do likewise.
    Following the above scenario, I found that my repo often does this while idle. This really upsets the time accuracy. So pausing the swing often allows the pendelett to run wildly.
    2.) Also should the EW have a smooth action or act like a recoil verge with a slight rebound/rocking action?
    I moved the Pendelett bridge to get it to run. Maybe I have it set incorrectly.

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pendelett governs both the swing and the beat. If it's pin pallet, there will be no recoil. If the clock swings and the beat is even, it's probably set up correctly. If you are having other issues, let us know. Also, be aware that the clock has to be completely assembled in order to set the time. Adding parts after you've set it will throw off the timing every time. Also note that lowering the bottom adjustment will make the clock run faster, not slower.

3. amzgraz

amzgraz Registered User

Feb 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Shutterbug: Thanks for the ans to #2 can U help me with question #1.
    thanks
    amzgraz

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some movements will run without a pendulum, and some won't. That's basically what's happening when the pendelett runs wild. It's not really an indicator of a healthy or unhealthy movement.

5. amzgraz

amzgraz Registered User

Feb 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the follow up. I havve read J. Hubby's data on the swinger and am using it to get the repo on-the-road
    thanks again
    amzgraz.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. amzgraz

amzgraz Registered User

Feb 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks again Mr.S. I have continued to re-re-re-re-adjust the main items of function. Namely pin pallet rotaton on the verge and fine movements in the moveable EW bridge. It has now been running for a day.
    Will continue to monitor as timing accuracy is adjusted.
    I need a few pieces for a second repo. Will try to place in "parts wanted section".
    Many thinks.
    amzgraz.

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pin pallets are a trial, but when you get them right they are quite reliable. I hope it keeps going for you.