Swing in torsion pendulums

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by cucoclock, Aug 15, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cucoclock

cucoclock Registered User

Jul 17, 2005
    Clocks Repair and Restore
    Santander, Spain
    Country Flag:
    Hello all,

I would like to know your opinions about the way torsion pendulums moves when they are regulating a 400 day clock.

The only movement I would like to see in this kind of pendulum is a rotative movement.

But, if you look at carefully sometimes the are two movements:
    1) Rotation
    2) Swing

Obviously the only movement we need in this kind of clocks is the rotative movement.

One of the reasons of the swing is some oscilation in the building. For example, when the wind blows strongly (in high buildings), this swinging movement appears in the torsion pendulum.

But sometimes we can observ this swing movement without any external cause.

Can anyone provide some insight into the cause of this oscillation in the absence of any movement on the clock?.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,
    Miguel
    ;););)

2. Tony10Clocks

Tony10Clocks Registered User

Aug 10, 2010
    Northant's
    Country Flag:
    Hello cucoclock, A couple of reasons could be the balls are not weighted evenly, ( very unlikley unless some has changed the balls, maybe someone has cleaned them and split the casing of the balls and taken out the weight ). Or the centre hook where the block slots in is bent,
    Tony

3. cucoclock

cucoclock Registered User

Jul 17, 2005
    Clocks Repair and Restore
    Santander, Spain
    Country Flag:
    Hi Tony,

Thank you for your answer.

I think you are right, if balls weight is not correct the fork can move laterally the suspension producing swing.

Kind regards,
    Miguel

4. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Both of these reasons are correct and will create what I call "pendulum wobble". A third reason is that the suspension spring may not be perfectly centered in the top or bottom blocks, which causes the spring to be distorted under the weight of the pendulum.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also not yet mentioned is the necessity of a good solid bench, table, etc. to set the clock on. If the table is not stable, the pendulum will surely influence it and get it rocking.