Swing Arm ID

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by 502*cmk, Mar 18, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 502*cmk

502*cmk Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking for some one that may specialize in Swing Arm clocks. What would it take to help me ID this clock? swing arm.jpg Tell me if you need pictures, etc?

2. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    502:

Your clock is a Junghans swinger, style "Birichino", No. 89/14. It is shown in the Junghans catalog for the combined years of 1913-14*. The catalog shows it with pendulum style #2, but yours has the more common style #1.

A very uncommon find! Very nice indeed. Please post photos of the clock from the back, a closeup of the dial, and of the back of the clock itself, both with the can in place and with the back of the can removed. This will enable me to give you more information.

*Junghans Mystery Swingers, Digital Compilation by Any400Day.

RobertG

3. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    cmk
    It is an Junghans it is called Birichino but I have heard it called Golden boy but yours is not Golden in color.

In the book it does not show the walking stick by his left arm but it looks real to me.

Is the knob to adjust the time in the center of the back door?

Is it heavy or does it feel hollow?
    It is make of what I call spelter or pot metal.

Great find

4. 502*cmk

502*cmk Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    front side.jpg back side.jpg front with arm.jpg back of arm.jpg clock works.jpg Thanks for answering may question. The clock is 14” tall and the arm is 9”. As you can see it has no name on the dial or the back of the works. It does seem hollow with the knob being centered. It does seem to run but is badly out of beat. It looks like the dial needs be moved to get in beat but not sure how to move the dial with in the case.

5. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    502cmk:

The bezel snaps onto the front of the casting. Using a case opener, or a knife blade (of course, being careful not to scratch or deform anything) pop the bezel off. The movement will come out from the front once you remove the retainers. There is a small pin at the top of the movement at the 11 that fits into a slot in the frame. It sounds like your retainers may be missing or not properly in place allowing the movement to rotate.

RobertG

6. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is a good thread to ask this question (I guess):

If you have a swinger that is out of beat, how do you adjust it?

Do you try to move the works in teh housing, or do you shift the weight some other way? I have considered losening all the screws in the tail (penulum) end and shifting it to the needed side.

Help me out here swinger experts. What do you do?

7. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 John Hubby, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    How to set the beat in a swinger:

1) French or Ansonia type swingers, movement located above the suspension assembly:
    With the clock NOT running but completely assembled, check to see if the clock is perfectly vertical, i.e. with the tip of the pointer under the lower pendulum bob being precisely in vertical alignment with the tip of the minute hand arbor. First check to be sure the center rod of the gridiron assembly is aligned along this same centerline. On some clocks that part of the assembly may have been knocked out of alignment, to straighten there are locking screws at the ends and/or at the back of the gridiron crossbars that can be loosened and the assembly placed in alighnment after which the screws need to be retightened. Place the assembly on the statue arm, then check the vertical alignment. If not vertical, loosen the locking screw under the "x" suspension spring assembly and move it to one side or the other until the clock is vertical. Tighten the screw, then start the clock swinging and listen (or use an amplifier connected to the statue hand) to see if the counter-pendulum (the small one on the back of the movement) is in beat. If not remove the back cover of the movement container and adjust the pendulum right or left to set the beat. Note that the pendulum normally is threaded onto the anchor arbor and can be moved gently to change the anchor position. In some clocks you may have to bend the pendulum rod to make this adjustment. You can do a quick check with the cover off by restarting the clock but may have to add some weight to the back to keep the clock vertical. When in beat replace the cover and start the clock normally.

2) Junghans miniature swingers:
    With the clock NOT running but completely assembled, be sure the support pins are sitting in the center of the jewels on the jewel bar. Check to see that the point under the regulating ball weight at the bottom is aligned perfectly vertical with BOTH the centerline of the jewel bar and the tip of the minute hand arbor. If not you can move the support pin assembly slightly to one side or the other to adjust the balance. If that isn't enough, you can then loosen the fixing screws on the gridiron crossbars of the lower part of the clock, and bend the rods to the appropriate side to bring the clock into balance in the vertical position before retightening the screws. Note that some movements have the lower part cast integrally with the whole movement casing; for these you may have to carefully bend the lower part to bring to vertical. Now start the clock and listen (or use an amplifier connected to the jewel bar lock nut) to see if the counter-pendulum (the tiny one on the back of the movement) is in beat. If not, remove the back cover of the movement and proceed to adjust the beat by turning the little pendulum in the appropriate direction on the anchor pallet shaft. NOTE: These clocks have pin pallets, do NOT attempt to turn the pendulum against the pins or they will be bent or broken. First use a toothpick through the escape wheel so it won't run away, then remove the pendulum bridge and pendulum/anchor and make the adjustment outside the clock. Make very small changes, reinstall and test to see if in beat without replacing the movement cover. Once you are in beat, replace the cover and start the clock normally after placing on the jewel bar.

Comments, corrections, and suggestions welcome!

8. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    f.webster:

This thread is moving more into the "clock repair' mode than "Clocks general". I will leave it up to the moderators to move it if they wish.

Explaining how to set these clocks into beat is not as simple as it may seem. John Hubby has written an article entitled “Servicing of Miniature Junghans Swingers” that would best answer your question. I have emailed John with a link to this discussion so he may respond as he feels best.

RobertG

9. 502*cmk

502*cmk Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    name on base.jpg front with arm.jpg For any one that would have a clock similar to this one, please let me have your feed back. Looking for an idea what the signature is on the base of this clock. I can not even make it out with an eye glass on my clock.

10. Robert Gary

Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    502: A lot of these statues have signatures that are illegible. In fact, most that I have seen up close I cannot make out.

RobertG

11. Don DeMarcus

Don DeMarcus Registered User

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #11 Don DeMarcus, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    Robert
    The name on this statue is
    Oswald Schimmelpfennig