Swedish Clock circa 1726 - wooden gears/interior - looking for info on clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by epeterson413, Jul 12, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. epeterson413

epeterson413 New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Country Flag:
    #1 epeterson413, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    Swedish Clock_3.jpg Swedish Clock_2.jpg Swedish Clock_4.jpg Swedish Clock_1.jpg

I was researching an old clock my father has in his possession (images attached). It has been in our family for a long time and my great grandfather who emigrated from Sweden brought the clockwork parts from the family clock that resided in Sweden prior to moving to the US. Apparently, he built the new wooden case when he arrived in the US to house the clock itself and it is supposed to resemble the original case (but I can't be certain that is true).

My father doesn't believe it was gold painted originally, and he thinks it may have been light blue in color, but again we really aren't certain. The little Swedish flags were not part of the original design either, I think my grandfather added those when he painted it gold. Also, much of the lead design work that would surround the circular face of the clock has fallen off. My father still has it, but has yet to repair/restore the face to its original look. Based on the date, we believe it was built in 1726 perhaps by someone with the initials SIS (or those stand for the family member that owned it)….we don't know.

Anyway, I am trying to find more information on the clock (not for the value), just for the type, style and maybe where it was made in Sweden, etc. Basically, history on the item that I could share with my family.

Thank you for taking the time to read this inquiry!

Swedish Clock_3.jpg Swedish Clock_2.jpg Swedish Clock_4.jpg Swedish Clock_1.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you have any pictures of the movement? I saw a very similar 8 day recently where the dialplate was painted blue. That one was said to be Dutch.

3. epeterson413

epeterson413 New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I have requested an interior image from my father. If I get it today/tomorrow I will post it. Thanks!

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The one I saw was not a wooden movement but had the same idea of painted dial with applied chapter ring and spandrels.

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    #5 rmarkowitz1_cee4a1, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    The current case is certainly not in a style typical of the early 18th century. Not even a case really. Was there ever a case or was it used as a "wag on the wall"? Basically, a dial and works were just hung on the wall. Certainly not uncommon in Germany and I suppose N. Europe?

The few antique Swedish tall case clocks I have encountered in my travels usually had a round painted dial and were housed in "country" painted soft wood cases. Almost had a French look to them.

I've seen a few square and arched top multipart dials. Again, in "country" soft wood painted cases. Interestingly, I vaguely recall a multipart square dial with a red painted background.

The style of painted decoration on the cases I've seen ranges from solid to faux bois to combinations of faux bois serving as a background for painted scenes or flowers, etc. Interestingly, blue is one of the solid colors I've seen used. Like what is recalled for the dial.

These cases are considered quite attractive and are a staple of decorators in this country.

I'm not much of a student of the works in these clocks. My recollection is that they were all brass. Again, I guess wood would not be out of the question. If wood, interesting to see if it's a mix of wood and brass, sort of like a Black Forest movement? May even imply that it was made there and cased in Sweden? Again, I don't know how often that occurred.

I have seen books about Swedish clocks. You might check the local library. The NAWCC has a library, but I think you need to be a member to access.

I tried to find some articles in the Bulletin but due to a chronic malfunction in the website, I could not open any of them.

RM

6. epeterson413

epeterson413 New Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I would have to ask if it was housed in a wall clock or not, but I thought I was told that it had a housing that was similar to what you see here. My great grandfather could only bring the clock itself but not the housing in the early 1900's when he arrived in the US. He was a woodworker/cabinetmaker/gunmaker, so he was quite skilled in making some fine looking wood pieces. Therefore, I can only assume he worked from memory to recreate the housing.

A relative of mine (a cousin) in Sweden said his mother verified that there was a housing and that it was destroyed after the parts were taken to the US. At this point, that is all I know though.

Personally, I wondered if he just made of a new housing and disregarded the original design. That was why I was hoping someone could identify the face and details around it or the lead weight design instead since I know that is original.

I might need to pay for a membership to the NAWCC to take a look at those books if I don't get any leads on this family heirloom.

Thanks for your reply!

Eric